Powerflex 700 Torque Control Tuning

A true story and an rant.

Ufff...

Let's say this: the question without an answer to which we cannot help OP is that we do not understand how his process works. In other words, we do not have a “model” of the process (#63 TF is a answer to #62. when will you learn to read?)
I read it again. #63 doesn't look like an answer to #62.

Because we don’t have a “model” of the process, then all your videos and calculations are pointless, because... there is nothing to apply them to.
The videos aren't pointless. They are starting points. The OP's model should be like what I wrote above. If it isn't then why isn't it? Then you look for the why.

At least I wouldn't be guessing on whether or not increasing or decreasing gains would help.

On the other hand, the OP, like any normal person, tries to avoid “useless” work and does not try to understand his process. Instead, he tries to find a “magic wand” (“magic” auto-tune, “magic” filter, “magic”...)
It isn't useless work. That is an attitude problem. The problem is that trial an error works most of the time until it doesn't. Then look at how much time it took to figure out what is wrong.

Thus.
I have no doubt that you can autotune a system with a well-known model. BUT how can this help in this particular situation?
I said above it is a starting place which is a lot closer to the answer than guessing.

Back in 2006 I was contacted by Rockwell to help them with a problem with a M02AS. A Rockwell customer had bought a M02AS for a flying shear. It wasn't making cuts accurately and the customer was p!$$ed and blamed Rockwell. The local Rockwell guy couldn't get it to work. I said I would go if I could bring one of our old controllers. When I got to the site and looked at the Rockwell trend I couldn't make any sense what was going on. The problem was that the Rockwell trends do not sample fast enough to see what is really happening. There was aliasing going on ( drbitboy mentioned that possibility ). To much was happening in between the samples over the back plane. I asked to have my motion controller wired up. Instead of sampling about every 10 miliseconds like the Control Logix and the M02AS, the RMC samples 1024 times a second. The problems were found within 30 minutes of wiring up the Delta Motion RMC100. The first problem was that the MDT rod was not updating synchronously with the motion controllers. This made it impossible to use the derivative gain. The customer had bought the wrong type of MDT rod. This was an easy fix. Just buy the right one. This was done quickly. The RMC plot made this problem easy to see. I still have the plots.

The second problem was MUCH more difficult to fix. The sheet metal that was being cut to length went though a pinch roller that turned an encoder. That is how positions and velocities were determined. The problem with not with the pinch roller and encoder. I could turn those by hand and the motion was very smooth. However when metal was passing though the roller the I could see the speed slow down and then jump forward. The problem was that a set of bearing on roller up stream were bad. They would cause the metal to slow down then release and jump forward. There is NO WAY a motion controller could compensate for the jerky motion. Again, the derivative gain wouldn't work. The bearing problem took months to fix. Both problems were customer problems, not problems with the Control Logix or the M02AS. The only problem with the Rockwell gear was its inability to show where the true problems lie. Again, the old 16 bit RMC100 was able to show where the problem was within 30 minutes. I still have the plots showing asynchronous feedback and the binding due to the bad bearings.

The point is that when I see a Rockwell trend I wonder would a RMC controller show? Can we see the true problem within a few minutes?
The OP's plots where not very helpful although better than nothing. I wondered if the huge oscillations were real. Can the system physically oscillate like that? The problem wasn't with the RMC100 or the M02AS.

So I can't get too excited about Rockwell trends.

BTW, the M02AS closed the loop every 250 microseconds where the RMC100 could only do it every 976 microseconds. Yet the RMC100 was able to show the problem. This was due to the packet interval between the M02AS and the Control Logix which I view as a weak link.

What really gets me is that customers blame the controllers thousands of M02AS were sold. It never occurs to the customer that their one-off machine may be the problem. However, the Rockwell trends where useless.

Also, I wrote and modified much of the code for the HYD02 and the M02AS.

Are my questions too silly or too difficult? Or have you found a solution?
Your problem is quite interesting, and I would like to understand its solution

Apologies for being slow to respond - this machine suffers from what I call the "curse of limping" - if it's still running, even badly, then my time ends up being directed to what are considered to be more pressing matters. I'm grateful for everyone contributing here and would also like to see this resolved.

If there is no smoking guns lets start from beginning

How is speed controlled?

Master line speed is selected by an operator and fed to a 500HP PowerFlex DC drive. All other drives in this system react to the influence of the main drive.

What device? What algorithm?

The drive that regulates web tension is a PowerFlex 700. Par 53 "Motor Cntl Sel" is "FVC Vector" and par 88 "Speed/Torque Mod" is "Torque Reg."

How is tension controlled? Is the drive braking the web or what?

The web travels over a roller with load cells on each side. The load cell signals go to a summing board that sends a 0-10V signal to the ControlLogix rack. The PLC gets a tension setpoint from the operator and regulates a torque setpoint to the Powerflex 700 drive. This much I fully understand. Within the drive is where it gets murky for me. I believe that the drive accepts the torque setpoint as a motor current setpoint in units of "percent of rated motor torque." The drive regulates its motor current to achieve the torque setpoint sent to it by the PLC. The drive and motor consume power in order to resist movement of the web in the forward direction through its drive rollers. The threading diagram is in post #28.

Oddities
1. Red curve is the measured web tension. Blue is tension control motor RPM via encoder feedback, i.e. web speed. If I'm not a complete idiot, then the speed and tension measured at one point should be in antiphase. But the red and blue curves are practically in the same phase.

2. On all charts the vibration frequency is 18 peaks per 36 seconds (regardless of web speed). BUT on #47, #51, #53 charts I counted 26-28 peaks per 36 seconds.[/quote]

47 and 51 were when I was playing with the speed reg controls of the main line drive. 53 was a snapshot from Historian where the display was affected by Historian's sampling rate.

On the other hand, the OP, like any normal person, tries to avoid “useless” work and does not try to understand his process. Instead, he tries to find a “magic wand” (“magic” auto-tune, “magic” filter, “magic”...)

I take just a slight issue with this assertion ;). The point of this thread was to understand the process of torque control within a PowerFlex drive. I have spent countless hours at the machine and behind my screen understanding the physical process, the multitude of effects of threading, web elasticity, bearings, roller alignment, process control, why someone would waste time programming a poorly-performing PID-ish control system instead of using an actual PID block, planning shutdowns, negotiating for manpower and downtime to do inspections and testing, and more. I am very much trying to understand the entire process. I came here specifically because, as stated in the OP, Rockwell has essentially zero documentation on the function and tuning of the torque control loop and I want to understand that process.

It may appear that I'm looking for a magic cure, but this machine has run in this configuration for decades. One thing, or maybe a small handful of things, have changed and the performance is off. Looking for a "magic cure" and looking for what has changed to reduce the performance of the machine could appear similar, I suppose.

Every suggestion of "add a filter" or "adjust deadband" or "tune the derivative response" is predicated on an understanding of an undocumented drive control method, which is where this thread started. If the drive has P and I parameters that have no effect and no D parameter whatsoever, what am I to do? Unfortunately I still haven't found anyone else using or tuning torque regulation in the Powerflex 700.

It feels like a common request from the customer asking me to use electrical controls to solve a mechanical problem. If I can do it and end up with a better system then sure, but I'd rather understand the torque control system so that I can narrow down the actual cause of the problem.

A question I have had is are all those oscillations in the OP's graphs real or just some sampling artifacts.

I can see the wild tension swings in the fabric and I can observe the tension drive rolls starting and stopping with RPM command oscillations. I believe the oscillations are accurately reflected in the trends. I'm capturing within Studio 5000 and the trend is set to a 10ms sampling rate.

It feels like a common request from the customer asking me to use electrical controls to solve a mechanical problem. If I can do it and end up with a better system then sure, but I'd rather understand the torque control system so that I can narrow down the actual cause of the problem.
YES! That is why you need good debugging techniques and tools. I don't think the Rockwell trends are the right tools. Also, you need isolate and test separate parts of the system.

can see the wild tension swings in the fabric and I can observe the tension drive rolls starting and stopping with RPM command oscillations. I believe the oscillations are accurately reflected in the trends. I'm capturing within Studio 5000 and the trend is set to a 10ms sampling rate.
OK, oscillations are caused by a lack of damping. This means that more derivative gain is required but this WON'T work unless you have a high resolution encoder.

Note that GIT's ball and beam could be controlled with a PD controller. The D term is necessary. The transfer function for GIT's ball and beam is the same as the transfer function for my motor.

The video of the motor that is tuned in torque control is not intuitive to tune manually. Most people start with the proportional gain. The result is a lot of oscillations similar to what you have shown. To tune my motor you start with the derivative gain so if I try to turn the motor shaft by hand it feels like there is some grabbing the shaft resisting any motion. So tuning starts with the damping/ derivative gain. Only then proportional and integrator gains can be added.

10 ms sampling isn't very good. That was the problem with Rockwell had back in 2006. There can be an aliasing problem that drbitboy point out long ago. That is why a posted my story.
It is good you can see the oscillations but are they as bad is shown on the graphs?
If you look above there is a link to a pdf where I model a motor. I use the model to calculate the velocity which is smooth but the measured velocity from the encoder looks awful. It should be obvious that he speed can't change that much that rapidly from one millisecond to the next.

I'm interested in learning more about this process, but I want to add to Peter's comments about RA's trending. It's not some prejudice. I posted a while back about having bus overvoltage faults on a PowerFlex 525 drive. The sampling in Studio 5000 and in CCW of the same span of time showed a different sequence of events, neither of which was logical or consistent with what ended up fixing the issue. I'll use trending to get in the ballpark for some things, but I don't think you can rely on it for stuff like this.

I see what you're saying - I trust the trend to tell me "oscillation is happening." I don't trust the trend to perfectly sequence which signal leads which other signal when I have a 20ms RPI to the devices and 30ms execution time.

Okay, a long-overdue update. We finally got a chance to inspect the rolls in the tension zone. We found all rolls rotating freely. One was out of grease, and we found a couple of sprockets off-center and corrected those, but no smoking guns. We were able to relieve tension from over the drive rolls and run a rotational autotune. I also climbed up and got the actual motor data, and found the drive was configured for a 30hp motor (actual 25hp), 36.6 FLA (actual 34), and 1770 NP RPM (actual 1780). I corrected those values and ran the autotune, noting that we left the motor coupled up to the gearbox and drive roll. Results:

This morning I got a call from the operator asking what I did, because it's fixed. I've been monitoring all day, and it still gets into oscillations around the 13ypm range, but not every time, and the window of oscillation is much reduced. They can run at 24ypm without issue.

13ypm no cycling:
pret-sept-2023-2-800x505.png

13ypm cycling:
pret-sept-2023-1-e1695138464256-800x463.png

The main pattern I see right now is that when they start up from stopped and go to/through 13ypm, it cycles. But when dropping down to 13ypm from higher speeds, it doesn't cycle.

The other difference I'm noticing is that the amp signal is much more active. Where before it was mostly a straight line with some occasional changes, now it's a very fuzzy line, appearing to show more active regulation.

This discussion has been infinitely valuable to me so far, and I am interesting in hearing all of your thoughts.

Much of this above my pay grade, but if you've been running the drive parameter 53 as 4 (FVC) which you mentioned, then it says right in the manual YOU MUST run a coupled autotune, which doesn't sound like you did until right before you fixed it.

Much of this above my pay grade, but if you've been running the drive parameter 53 as 4 (FVC) which you mentioned, then it says right in the manual YOU MUST run a coupled autotune, which doesn't sound like you did until right before you fixed it.

That is a great callout. I don't know when this control system was originally commissioned, but certainly before my tenure here. There may have been a proper startup at that time, or maybe not. It is straightforward enough to do an autotune while uncoupled, and we can couple up to the gearbox/rolls to do a "loaded" autotune, but because of the way the line is configured, I can't do an uncontrolled autotune on a live web.

All of that aside, if the issue lies in the physical components, the best an autotune can do is give the drive a better chance of reacting well to a system that is actively creating problems.

That is a great callout. I don't know when this control system was originally commissioned, but certainly before my tenure here. There may have been a proper startup at that time, or maybe not. It is straightforward enough to do an autotune while uncoupled, and we can couple up to the gearbox/rolls to do a "loaded" autotune, but because of the way the line is configured, I can't do an uncontrolled autotune on a live web.

All of that aside, if the issue lies in the physical components, the best an autotune can do is give the drive a better chance of reacting well to a system that is actively creating problems.

Sure, not possible with the web media in place, but in the case of the pull roll, you can autotune connected to the roll on a maintenance day with no web. We used to do that with oscilliscopes back in the day for web handling, but now just coupled autotunes. I don't do alot of FVC, but the few times I have, the motor/load interrogation has seemed critical.

Anyway, it was a fun thread to read. Beats telling people how to program a stoplight ;)

47 and 51 were when I was playing with the speed reg controls of the main line drive.

So you knew all along that the main drive settings affect the system frequency?
post your main drive settings

and yes, I hope you don’t need to explain that the main drive creates tension while being controlled by speed