Devicenet Module Compact Logix

Airborne87

Has anyone had the devicenet module not hold its configuration? This module has been in use for one month I was called in for a machine down situation. I have tried many times to download the configuration.

No, I have never had a 1769-SDN fail to retain its scanlist (which is what you mean by "configuration").

Can you describe precisely what you mean by "I have tried many times to download the configuration" ?

If the RSNetworx software is giving you an error message, or if a code is being displayed on the 1769-SDN, describing either of those would be very helpful.

Rsnetworx does not give an error message. The code displayed on the 1769-SDN (77) after I download the scanlistit goes to (75)& (84). I then cycle power and the code goes to 77.

Rsnetworx does not give an error message. The code displayed on the 1769-SDN (77) after I download the scanlist goes to (75)& (84). I then cycle power and the code goes to 77.

Excellent, now we have something to work with. The DeviceNet diagnostic status codes are the same for all A-B scanners, so I keep the Installation Instructions from the 1747-SDN handy for just this kind of thing.

Status code 75 means the scanlist has no active nodes, 84 means the scanner is initializing. So both of those are normal after you download the scanlist.

Status code 77 is the key here, coupled with the node number it's alternating with.

Status code 77 means "Connection Size Mismatch".

When the scanner is establishing a connection with a slave device, it checks the slave's identity (Vendor, Code, Type, Revision) and it checks the Produced Data Size and the Consumed Data Size of the connection.

If the slave reports the wrong data size, the 1769-SDN knows there is a difference betweeen the data it's expecting to get and the data the slave is expecting to send, so it does not put the connection into active mode.

The most common instances of Connection Size Mismatch that I see are with AC drives where the I/O connection is configurable using other parameters in the drive (like DataLinks with A-B PowerFlex and 1336+).

What is the device whose node number is showing Code 77 ?

Another way to determine which device's connection has a problem is to check the Device Status array in the 1769-SDN Status connection to the CompactLogix.

The address will be similar to: Local:1:S.DeviceStatus[x] where x is the node number of the slave device.

A method for troubleshooting Error 77 problems is described in the RA Knowledgebase Answer ID # 24919.

If you can upload whole network configuration (or at least the 1769-SDN and the affected slave) and post the RSNetworx for DeviceNet *.DNT file, I or other Forum members can probably point to the problem.

Another way to determine which device's connection has a problem is to check the Device Status array in the 1769-SDN Status connection to the CompactLogix.

The address will be similar to: Local:1:S.DeviceStatus[x] where x is the node number of the slave device.

A method for troubleshooting Error 77 problems is described in the RA Knowledgebase Answer ID # 24919.

If you can upload whole network configuration (or at least the 1769-SDN and the affected slave) and post the RSNetworx for DeviceNet *.DNT file, I or other Forum members can probably point to the problem.

Thanks for the answer I.D., Ken, but, sadly, that information is so important its locked up!! (Wonder what it did wrong?)

Thanks for the answer I.D., Ken, but, sadly, that information is so important its locked up!! (Wonder what it did wrong?)

Unfortunately, Allen Bradley/Rockwell has chosen to limit access to just about everything on the Knowledgebase unless you have a valid support Contract. Very few things are viewable unless you have a support contract.

Stu....

Hello..
How can i download the scan list to the 1769-SDN scanner without using 1770-KDF. I have not access to the Scanner from RSNetworx.
Any Idea???

Thanks.

My System Configuration is:
-Micrologix1500
-1769-SDN
-1203-GU6 ScanPort
-1305 VDF

You need to connect to the DeviceNet, if you do not have a 1770-KFD (Serial to DN) then you will need either a 1784-PCD (PMCIA card to DN) or a 1784-U2DN (USB to DN).

These are your only options when using a ML1500 processor to my Knowledge you cannot 'bridge' from the ML1500 to the scanner, like you can with the SLC500 and PLC5 processors.

Last edited:
You must have access to the network to download a scanlist to the 1769-SDN, and Alan is correct that the MicroLogix 1500 controllers do not support "bridging" or "passthrough" to the DeviceNet network.

However, if you really have just one slave device, you could use the "Auto-Scan" feature to map it into the scanlist of the 1769-SDN. This is described in detail in Chapter 4 of the User Manual for the 1769-SDN, Rockwell Automation Publication 1769-UM009.

If you have specific questions about the 1769-SDN or AutoScan, please start a new thread on that topic.

These are your only options when using a ML1500 processor to my Knowledge you cannot 'bridge' from the ML1500 to the scanner, like you can with the SLC500 and PLC5 processors.

Thanks a lot.

That's the answer I was looking
Well I guess I'll have to buy one of these cards