CLX Produce / Consume tags

theDave2

I am trying to make a Consumed tag in a CompactLogix Produced in another CLX) . The Help file says I can do it off line or online/program mode. Not.

Both processors are connected and are 192.168.1.xxx address.

Off line, when I create the tag, there is an option for Consume and then you need to select the remote processor. That dropdown field for remote is blank and I can't type/enter into it.

On Line/Program mode, there isn't even the option for Consumed, just base/alias.

The cpu is v15.4

Any ideas ? Is there some setup step before creating a tag that needs to be done ?

Last edited:
You need to have the producing processor mapped in your I/O tree on the left side of the software. That is where the drop down in the tag properties menu gets the processor name from.

I'm working from memory, but this should get you going:

Assuming your EtherNet card is already in your IO configuration:
Right click on the Ethernet card, and insert new module and add the Ethernet card for the other processor, define the IP address and chassis size.
Then add the remote CPU into the chassis.

There you go.

I will give that a try. I presume that I DON'T need RSNetWorx.
I'm not sure I did it right as I'll have to see what the remote cpu actually is, but after doing what you say, I now have that cpu in the list when I define a consumed tag. Thanks !

Mike, your memory is GOOD! As funny as it looks setup like that it is indeed the way.

Unfortunatly I still cannot find it in the Help files.

And, I called A-B support and asked is there is a built in way to determine if the data is good or the link is donwand they haven't a clue. I took less tine to write a 'heart beat' routine in each plc than the time I spent on hold getting a non-answer.