CLX Global Tag Rename

robertmee

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a possible upcoming job where the customer wants to take an existing CLX program and do a global rename/replace of all the tags into an yet undetermined standard naming convention. Not having seen the program yet, I'm just trying to think of what the process will entail. I'm thinking maybe export the tag database, rename all the tags and import them (now I have the old and new tags) and then start doing global search and replaces. Use the unused tag filter to verify mission accomplished. Any thoughts? Any gotchas, specifically with UDTs, motion routines, etc? I know I'll also have to change the HMI to match.

The question is how many tags are you talking about. If the number is manageable then I would change the properties from Logix. The Rockwell software does a brilliant job of changing all of the tag references in the programme on the fly. This even works on-line. If you use UDT's extensively the job could be trivial.
Andybr

If the rename is going to be extensive, it might be easier to use a solid text editor and spend some time on search/replace on an exported L5K file.

For the record, and not trying to advertise, but I absolutely LOVE UltraEdit. Especially the memory Stick UE3 version, can pop my UE3 memory stick in just about any computer and have a great general purpose editor.

I'd say an in-betweener. Probably 500 tags. I think maybe 20 or so UDTs. I know at least the parent type name will change, don't know if they'll want the UDT subs changed too.

It would probably be easier to just sit down and go through it in the offline software - that way everything is updated as you go. You're looking at a few hours, tops. Using any export/import isn't going to save you much time.

I agree, do it in Logix - you may take longer renaming everything, but then you don't have to do any global search and replace after and guarantees that you won't mess with the logic. Also, in regards to text editors, try Notepad++ (free!). Runs on memory stick as well.

I'd vote for your original suggestion, when I've had to do something similar I found that to be the easiest way to go and the one least prone to mistakes due to me being careless after several hours of in-Logix editing. (the changes have always been of a staightforward change "apple_count" to "orange_count" nature)

Editing the .L5K is the quickest but you'd better not any mistakes, inadvertant backspaces, extra semi-colons; certainly not for me!