Connecting to SLC 5/03

burnerman

It's been a while since I worked on an AB system.

I have to make a modification to a program in a SLC 5/03 (1747-L532). I have an old laptop with RS Logix 500 and RS Linx installed (I'm pretty sure that my programming software is newer than the SLC processor so I presume that there shouldn't be a problem with firmware).

Just wanted to check that I can go straight from the serial port on the laptop to the RS-232 port (channel 0) on the 5/03 with a cable wired as per 1747-CP3.

I have the password for the program in the 5/03.

The modification I'll be doing is simply changing constants in math or SCP instructions - can this be done on-line?

Any tips on likely problems, e.g. port setup etc. would be appreciated.

Yep, you should be good to go with what you have there. Select the standard DF1 driver from links (19200/CRC/Full Duplex/None i think should do it) - if not you can use the 'AUTO-CONFIGURE' button in the driver setup...and the CP3 is the correct lead for your serial port.

The 5/03 supports online editing, so your modifications should be straight forward. As a general practice, i tend to put all fields in SCP or CPT instructions in Integer or Float file addresses, allowing much simpler editing of the blocks...

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Rob

Last edited: