0-10V Loop?

RBergmann

Can a 0-10V signal be "looped" to permit monitoring by two devices? We do this regularly with 4-20mA loops.

Logically I would think I could connect the two monitors, in parallel, to the transducer in order to receive equivalent voltage levels, but what I do know is that I don't know enough to know if this might work (i.e. I do know what I don't know - not too confusing :).

Situation: I have a linear transducer generating a 0-10V signal to a dedicated board. I want to add a PLC to the system, with an analog module and take in this same signal to allow me to perform other control logic based on the reading.

In theory, yes, parallel the 10V signal to the second input board and it should work.

Potential problems arise when one or both of the inputs reference ground and whether a ground loop develops, which if it does, can actually affect both signals.

Go ahead and hook it up and see how it works.

Dan

Not looped, but parallel

Okay, so you want to split a 0-10vdc signal to two different analog input devices?

Usually, this can be done as long as the signal going to the PLC does not exceed the voltage isolation limit of the PLC input and the PLC input impedance is high enough that it does not affect the voltage seen by the other controller enough to impact the process.

Paul