ET200M - hot swap modules

mikas_m

Hello,

I know that it is possible to replace S7-400 I/O module during operation (hot swap). I wonder is it posssible to do the same with I/O modules on ET200M distribuited I/O unit?
I need complete redundant solution with S7-400 (414H), but instead usinf S7 400 signal modules, I'm planing to use ET200M.
Since ET200M is using S7 300 modules, I don't think it is possible to have hot swap capability.

Thanks

It IS possible.
In stead of the normal rack-less backplane, a socalled "active backplane" is used. Find information about "IM153-2" and "6ES7195-1GA00-0XA0".

It is possible, we've just finished designing a system using S7-417FH with Redundant ET200M IO Modules and Redundant IM-153-2 Modules. This gave us complete logic solver system redundancy, the only problem we came accross (which only applys to the F, failsafe, systems) is that you need twice as many DI's as you think you do to achieve SIL3. So if you want a redundant hotswappable SIL3 DI you actually need 4 DI points.

Ok, thank you guys. I need more information to complete whole picture.
I want complete redundant solution. I need to take care I don't miss something. So far, I have this:
2 PLC with CPU 414H.
Each CPU has appropriate communication processor (I want to use Profibus).
I need two ET200M stations (redundant). Now, in order to achieve redundancy I need to connect each ET200M with each CPs. So I need CP that has two connections.

In that case, I maybe don't need hot swap option, because if there is redundant ET200M station with I/O modules, I can safely shut down one and perform service on it, right?

This means I'll need to use signal isolators so I can wire one transmitter (sensor) on two cards.

Can you give me more informations on this?

P.S. I cannot understand why I need 4 DI instead of 2 if I want to have fail-safe system... (right now, I don't need SIL3, but still it's good to know)

Thank you

Last edited: