ET200M first time

rQx

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi,

A customer is requiring a ET200M in our control panel, I have never used them and would appreciate some help regarding if I understand it correct. They shall do all programming so I'm only going to connect all sensors and switches and connect the HMI to the IM over profibus

They want active bus backplane, I still need the regular mounting rail right?

I think I can use any power supply and musn't use the assigned s7-300 PSU?

All I/O modules seem to have to be powered on terminal 1 and 20.

For the Digital IN there is a terminal labeled Vs, do I have to use this or can I use a voltage source from the same PSU that supplies voltage to 1 and 20?

I have 2wire 4-20mA sensors, external +24Vdc supply to sensor and Signal in to M0+ and M0- reference to -24VDC on the same PSU as usual?

Is this connector suitable for the IM? 6ES7972-0BB70-0XA0
I cant find it referenced anywhere but maybe it's because this is a newer type?

Anything else to think of?

ET200M with the active backplane is (was ?) used in redundant systems.
You would have redundat S7-400H CPUs with redundant Profibus going to twin IM153-2 in each ET200M rack, and with active backplanes for the ET200M racks.

Yes, ET200M is discontinued.
That and the fact that the customer does the programming sounds as that they have an existing redundant PLC system and this is an extention of said existing system.
This is very very non-trivial. You need expert advice. Not a few forum posts to clear this up. And you need a very clear specification from your customer what they really want. They should tell you exactly what hardware configuration they want. And I also think they should supply all the PLC hardware.

ET200M with the active backplane is (was ?) used in redundant systems.
You would have redundat S7-400H CPUs with redundant Profibus going to twin IM153-2 in each ET200M rack, and with active backplanes for the ET200M racks.

Yes, ET200M is discontinued.
That and the fact that the customer does the programming sounds as that they have an existing redundant PLC system and this is an extention of said existing system.
This is very very non-trivial. You need expert advice. Not a few forum posts to clear this up. And you need a very clear specification from your customer what they really want. They should tell you exactly what hardware configuration they want. And I also think they should supply all the PLC hardware.

They haven't informed of anything like that, they have stated exactly what modules they want and I just add them to the IM and backplane they want. The IM is a IM153-1 and I read that it's not suitable for redundacy so that is not an issue. Active backplane bus also allowes hot swap it seems, maybe that's what they're after

I have informed them that this is discontinued since 1 oct 2023 but they insist since the whole plant is based on it. Guess they don't have the time to migrate just now. As you know, the customer is always right... :oops:

Last edited: