micrologix 500 intructions

stu

good day to you, i am new to plcs i have been given a project at work to take out a automation direct plc and replace it with a micrologix 1200 there is a part of the auto programme which has a set and reset function but i dont know how to do it on the micro can anyone help? it might be me being thick
thanks
stu

Ken Moore said:
Latch (OTL) and Unlatch (OTU) are the AB version of set and reset.
Be warned, latches are retentive and will not be cleared on a power cycle.

Hello Sir,

I'm new at this, so i was thinking of asking ur advice on this.

u mentioned latched n unlatched will not be cleared on a power cycle. What does a power cycle means? does it mean that even if i switched off the plc and restart the latched output is still there?

Regards,
Al

alearon said:
Hello Sir,

I'm new at this, so i was thinking of asking ur advice on this.

u mentioned latched n unlatched will not be cleared on a power cycle. What does a power cycle means? does it mean that even if i switched off the plc and restart the latched output is still there?

Regards,
Al

yes

Each PLC mfg or PLC model will be different. Check the programming manual for the model you are working with. (Sorry, I can't give you a direct answer about the Mitsubishi).

Ken Moore said:
Mitsubishi PLC's depend on the configuration. However, I believe the new PLC's have a set and reset instruction as well. It's been a long time since I worked with Mitsubishi PLC's, so my information may be incorrect.
See this thread on another board:
http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?showtopic=10109

Hello sir,
from the sample programs that i have, yes Mits do have set n reset functions. From the automation that i have, latched input will be refreshed when powered off.

Also i read through the thread u adviced and found out that they use M500 above as latched relays. do they mean that i can use m500 and above instead to replace the SET function?

I understand that you didnt work with Mits for a while but i'm in desperate need of a guru now..heh heh.

Thanks.
Al

Ken Moore said:
Latch (OTL) and Unlatch (OTU) are the AB version of set and reset.
Be warned, latches are retentive and will not be cleared on a power cycle.
hi
so with rslogix 500 (micrologix 1200) how do you set and reset contacts safely?

stu said:
hi
so with rslogix 500 (micrologix 1200) how do you set and reset contacts safely?

The way I do it is to make use of the first scan bit. I used it to clear all of my latches and take the machine to a safe state when power is turned back on. S:1/15 is the adress. This bit is on for the very first scan of the PLC only. This applies to SLC's and Micrologix.

Generally I will only latch bits. I try to group these bits to gether as much as possible so on the fist scan I can do something like this

--[S:1/15]---------| CLR |
|B3:0 |

This way I do not have to create an unlatch for each bit I just clear the entire word.