Step 5 comunication cable

Nit

Hi
I have a Hyundai lathe with Step 5 PLC. When I try to comunicate with the PLC I receive a message "Last segment not completed" I use a laptop with an original cable. It's neccesary a converter?
Best
Nit

Which laptop you are using Siemens or other than siemens?
What do you mean by original cable?
Siemens supply covertor cable compatible to RS232 communication.
If you are using original convertor cable then it should work.
Normal cable without convertor will not work with your laptop.

Hi
I use a original cable suplied by Siemens and he doesn't have any converter. I use a Compaq nc6120 laptop. What you undersand by convertor? It's a device or only the corespondent configuration from RS232 to PLC?

Siemens S5 PLCs commumicate by a rs422 current loop protocol. The origianl siemens programing terminals had the current loop converter built in and used a cable with a 25 pin connector on one end and a 15 pin connector on the other end. The exception to this was the S5-150 series which did use a 25 pin to 25 pin type cable (stretching my memory a bit here).

To run STEP5 on an ordinary laptop you need: 1. A real serial port with a 16450/16550 UART chip (not a USB one). 2. STEP5 Software 3. PC to current loop convertor part number 6ES5 734-1BD20.

Hope this helps.

Nick

Manglemender said:
To run STEP5 on an ordinary laptop you need: 1. A real serial port with a 16450/16550 UART chip (not a USB one). 2. STEP5 Software 3. PC to current loop convertor part number 6ES5 734-1BD20.
Nick

not quite right, look at here

http://**********/viewtopic.php?t=8348

Compaq nc6210 has onboard COM port, but I don't know "real" or not. Sometimes COM port in notebook it is just embended USB-COM converter. :)

zova said:
not quite right, look at here
:)

Thanks for the Info. that does look like an interesting product but it doesn't seem to be running Siemens Step5 software. As I understand it, The Siemens software requires a real UART to go online.

Have a good weekend,

Nick

DO you have any part no. for cable?

Siemens also make cable that can be used for any RS232 port.
And the convertor circuit is fixed inside connector and this works on 5 v power from com port.

And it should works with compaq nc6120

Try switching to STL reresentation. Usually that meesage appears as a result of a program error, not a comms error.

You will probably find that the last segment dosn't have a valid output, but it should still display in STL.

Hi
Thanks for replay. Yes I have a code nomber : 6FC93-44RY-001AF0. Do you have another code nomber? If yes please send it to me.
Nit

Hi
I can be agree with you but why when I try to transfer from PLC to laptop I receive same message?
Nit