Another question for you Guru's!!!!

mer

Hello again Plc Guru's i have another question!!!I have a older version of RSLogix 500 version 6.20.00 this version i know, will not work with windows vista .but will it work with the the new windows 7..the reason i ask is we have just ordered a new computer that has windows 7..and was also told that windows 7 was far more compatible with older software programs then vista was..Any input on this would be helpful before we start trying to download uncompatible programs thanks Dave..

If it won't work under Vista, it is not likely to work in Win7 either.

Windows 7 Professional allows a program called Windows Virtual PC and what is called "XP Mode". This means you can install XP in a virtual machine and run those older incompatible programs in the virtual machine. This is the increased compatibility you have heard about.

Not all computers however provide the required hardware support needed to run Windows Virtual PC and XP Mode. I have a brand new Dell laptop and the Intel chip in this system does not support Windows Virtual PC. So you need to find out on the new computer exactly what Intel processor is being used. This Intel site provides a link to where you can lookup your processor or you can download a little utility that can tell you if your processor supports hardware virtualization.

As an alternative, VMware Workstation allows the same functions as Windows Virtual PC and XP Mode but does not require hardware support. It is much more widely used. I have used it for several years.

Probably way more than you needed to know, but that's the story.

OG

Last edited:
If it won't work under Vista, it is not likely to work in Win7 either.

Windows 7 Professional allows a program called Windows Virtual PC and what is called "XP Mode". This means you can install XP in a virtual machine and run those older incompatible programs in the virtual machine. This is the increased compatibility you have heard about.

Not all computers however provide the required hardware support needed to run Windows Virtual PC and XP Mode. I have a brand new Dell laptop and the Intel chip in this system does not support Windows Virtual PC. So you need to find out on the new computer exactly what Intel processor is being used. This Intel site provides a link to where you can lookup your processor or you can download a little utility that can tell you if your processor supports hardware virtualization.

As an alternative, VMware Workstation allows the same functions as Windows Virtual PC and XP Mode but does not require hardware support. It is much more widely used. I have used it for several years.

Probably way more than you needed to know, but that's the story.

OG

Just to add a little to the above

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

The current release of RSLogix 500, version 8.20, is known to launch, run, and go online using Windows 7 32-bit.

The current version includes support for all the controllers and firmware that has been released since your version came out in mid-2004.