Who makes pre-build pre-wired enclosure with PLC

Contr_Conn

My customer asked me this question and I don't really know:

He is looking to buy small pre-wired enclosure with parts already in and wired something like this:
- Main disconnect, like 30 Amps
- Major brand small PLC - like A-B or Mitsubishi
- 32 DC in, pre wired to the terminal block
- 16 DC out, 2A prewired to the fused terminal block
- DC power supply
- 2-4 small starters
- Small HMI on the door like PV600
- E-stop, master start.

or same combination with AC I/O

He wants to be able to look in the catalog and pick one and get it in a few days.
I offered him to build it, but he wants to buy something from the shelf as needed.

Unlikely!

He may want to be able to pick from a list or off the shelf, but the reality is that he is asking to have an inventory of spec built panels available just for him. That is not likely to happen and if it did, the cost would be prohibitive. He had better just ask and pay you to build them for him when he needs them. It is a tough world.

Yeah Really.......

You can assemble all you want - without a program in the PLC and HMI you have a pile of electrical parts anyway. One man could throw the parts together in a few days - you still need to program it for the process.......

Tell him in a couple weeks to call you and you'll have it to him in 3 days.....

May be not a bad idea to have a catalog, I think a lot of people want to look in catalog, pick up the phone and have box in 2 days. It may cost a little more, have few exra components, but customer can have it NOW.

No one makes this yet?

Last edited:
If there was a market for them, they would be readily available. The reality is that there is NOT a market for 'universal' control panels.

WAAAAY to many variables involved. Although, given the right incentive (i.e. $$$), some panel shops may be able to provide that kind of delivery.

beerchug

-Eric

May be idea just to have a catalog of engineered boxes without stock - and build per order.

This customer thinks and he is probably right - engineering cost is significant portion in custom made enclosures. Standard line may have some extra parts, but savings with engineering labor.

He is actually pointed to AB disconnect enclosures with disconnect and starters - looks like there is market.
He said -just add PLC and HMI.

Plus no problems with customer approvals and spec: customer buying off the shelf and approvals and specs will be his responsibility ;)

Last edited:
[COLOR=blue]Contr_Conn [/COLOR] said:
[SIZE=]My customer asked me this question and I don't really know:
He wants to be able to look in the catalog and pick one and get it in a few days.[/SIZE]

Gosh! I feel like crying when I get these kind of demands.

Not specifically this one but ones that really shows how low is the technical knowledge of some poeple in charge of my next pay-check.

Its like the "Is it a relay or a PLC " question.

What can you answer? Last week I was asked a dumb (what else should I call it?) question and all I could do is hand the guy the Yellow Pages. About Turn! And leave.

I remember a few years back, a client wanted to feed some dryers exhaust into the main exit pipe of the toilets. I told him he could not and should not do it. He kept on asking me why.

Have courage Contr_Conn

Pierre, sounds like you would like to be able to pick your customers from a catalog. Wouldn't that be nice!

Yes, the big drawback of being "in the know" or of above average intelligence is that naturally you have to deal with those that are not quite "up to speed". The problem is they are the people in control of the budget.

The bottom line is really NO, there is no McDonald's Automation Solution where you can pick the "Big Mac" Control System or the "Filet of Fish" MCC at the drive-thru ......

I'm curious about what size motors these "Generic Control Centers" would have to control.

Not specifically this one but ones that really shows how low is the technical knowledge of some poeple in charge of my next pay-check.

Well, this guy is righ now in charge of my family budget... I have no other project for November and this guy normally pays on time. But he drives the show and I have to bring "CATALOG"

But just think - thousands people like this and they want to do one stop shopping.
Is it healfy to eat in McDonalds? - NO, do they have lines at lunch time? -YES!

Contr_Conn said:
This customer thinks and he is probably right - engineering cost is significant portion in custom made enclosures. Standard line may have some extra parts, but savings with engineering labor.

I doubt it.

Any integrator/ panel shop will have the drawings for something similar, that just needs to be modified. I could start from scratch and finish in less than a day. The real cost will come with the programming.

The idea is intriguing, though. Capitalism is all about giving the customer what they want, not necessarily what they need.

Then you will get the order- "I would like one of those panels, but could you put in some analog I/O and a size 2 starter? Oh, and a modem."

The idea is intriguing, though. Capitalism is all about giving the customer what they want, not necessarily what they need.

I may try, at least to make a catalog ;)

A lot of customers like this, so it may be market.

This particular guy wanted me to start retrofit (complete control replacement) with writing the program.

I told him: lets make drawings, make BOM, order components.
By the time you get components and wire the panel I'll be ready with software.
At this point he told me:
- give me a catalog of pre-wired panels,
- I'll pick one we will have it hext week.
- So don't waste your time - do the programming :cool:

I have an Idea

Hi Contr_Conn,

I Have a solution that will require every member of this forum, what I suggest is that we all send you pictures and brief description of control cabinets that we have made, there is such diversity on this site, that between OEM's,Maintenance,Machine builder's,Panelbuilders, PLC Specifiers, etcetc that we must have between us every imaginable type of controls cabinet built ,
Let your customer see it

then you could act as distributer for all these panel types, we give Phil his commission :site: , and when you place an order we rehesh our drawings to some local vendor and send ye the panel !!!!!!

Sorted :D :D :D :D

Ohh yeah then you're customer will order a "Special" panel cos that ones just not his colour banghead

Just a thought..........

Mylo, thanks for offer, I probably can show him picturs and drawings of my cabinets, but he wants catalog like AB catalog!

Technically it is not a problem to build a panel, I have a guy on stand-by, if I provide part and DWGs he can make it in 48 hours.
But it will take time to order and recieve components. plus I don't have DWG exactly as he needs, close, but not exact.

Ohh yeah then you're customer will order a "Special" panel cos that ones just not his colour
I had this fun, one time we even repainted whole $2M machine because paint supplier sent us wrong shade, and customer said - no this is not my color.

Is your customer's requirement consistent?

Will the hardware requirements change from panel to panel?

Will his program for either the PLC or MMI change from panel to panel?

If the answer to questions 2 or 3 is yes...your task just became a whole lot harder to accomplish.

We have customer's that work with our integrators that basically do what you are talking about.

They manufacturer a specific panel and keep it in stock for them. Not really a catalog item, but it is continuous business and they ship from stock. The risk here is if your customer ever goes to another integrator, you could be left with inventory. This has happened a couple of times to our integrators.

If the product doesn't exist to begin with, you have to develop it. Development takes time and dollars to do. Is it worth it? That is a question that only you can ask yourself, given the relationship you have with your customer.

The key things you should be asking him are "volume" and "potential"

What happens if you offer him a specific solution...for the requirements he gives you today...and tomorrow he gives you a new requirement that he didn't design in originally?

The other thing you should ask him...if he is looking for something standard, is he willing to pay for everything he isn't using? Will price be an issue?

This could also be an excellent opportunity for you to offer a standard product and market it as your own. Providing you with a more consistent revenue stream.

If your going to do it...make it flexible. Offer a standard with options. When designing something new, many people design only what they need, giving no thought to future requirements. This thinking cuts off additional revenue that could be had with some good planning.

I hope this turns into something big for you.

God Bless,