4-20ma to ethernet to SLC 500

DebPeterson

I have four 4-20ma signals wired to the old wall charts. I want to find a device to convert the signals (or maybe I don't need to convert them?)and move them over ethernet to our AB SLC 5/05 where I will do all of the flow calculations? (Could scale and do calcs) Any good advice as to the best unit to use for this application?

Thank you very much,Deb

Last edited:
They do not want to wire them over to where the PLC is located in another bldg. We have ethernet close to where the 4-20 mA wiring is located.

A 5/05 can't read ethernet I/P I/O. It has an ethernet port, not an Ethernet I/P port.

If you have a Logix processor in the other building with an ethernet module capable of controlling Ethernet I/P I/O, then you could use the Flex I/O as Tom suggested.

You could get a small PLC with 4 analog inputs and put it on your ethernet network, then use messaging to retrieve the data. Something like a MicroLogix 1100 with a 1762-IF4 card added would work. Then you can use the MSG instruction to communicate between your 5/05 and the ML1100

You might look into these:
http://www.automationdirect.com/adc...nator_I-z-O_Network_Interface_Modules/T1H-EBC

They claim to be able to interface to a PC on an ethernet network, but I would expect you'd need a particular driver package to do this.

Also, be very careful adding ethernet I/O devices to a business lan. PC networks don't play well with millions of tiny little PLC packets flying all over the place. You may need managed switches or a VLAN to do this safely.

Last edited:
A 5/05 can't read ethernet I/P I/O. It has an ethernet port, not an Ethernet I/P port.

You could get a small PLC with 4 analog inputs and put it on your ethernet network, then use messaging to retrieve the data.
great idea but which plc can be compatible with he SLC ETH port ?
Micrologix 1100 with a 4ai ?

I love this site for how friendly it is, and the knowledge that one recieves from all of the helpful, smart minds participating in the posts. Thank you all and have a great day.