Trying to get HART DATA using CIP Message in Control Logix

capgid

Hi All,

This is my first time trying to get HART data from a Honeywell XNX universal transmitter using control logix and I have not been successful so far o_O.

I created a CIP message following the instructions in chapter 8 of the publication 1756-UM533B-EN-P, but I keep getting the error code: 16#0009 with extended error code 16#0000_0312.

The processor is L61 and the card is 1756-IF8H. Those are my only two elements in the Logix chassis, since at this point I am trying to understand what type of data I can retrieve from the Transmitter. The analog 4-20 mA communication has been tested succesfully.

See attached file with error message. Additionally, I have included some files to show the analog input card channel (0) status.

Please let me know any comments / suggestions...

Ch0_Device_Status.jpg Error Code.jpg Hart Device info.jpg Module_Info.jpg

I'm not an A-B CLX guy, just interested in HART comm in general.

1) Nothing in the A-B manual indicates that the AI card expects to run in HART devices in HART multidrop mode (multiple HART devices wired in parallel, each with a HART address > zero); the examples of multiple devices (pg 70) are one device per input; the word multidrop appears only in appendix C's list of error messages.

So can you conclude that the A-B AI card expects to run each XNX in point-to-point mode, where each HART device is at HART address zero?

If so, is the XNX set to HART address 0?

2) I see the example msg configuration dialog box on page 122 has a source length of 0 bytes, but how can zero bytes return a value? I don't know.

3) Have you noted the rather complex sequence of messaging described on pages 125 & 126?

In particular:

If your Input Tag includes the HART PV data, a status indicator HART.ChxDeviceStatus.MsgReady tells your program a HART reply is ready to retrieve with the Pass through Query command.

The CIP reply from the Init service includes a number called the handle. This handle identifies the HART message that was placed in a queue for transmission to the field device. When the reply is received and MsgReady is set to 1, your Logix controller should send a Query containing that same handle to retrieve the HART reply. The reason these steps are necessary is that it can take a long time for the HART command to be transmitted and a reply received. If all 8 channels
are in use, the time for a reply would be about 10 seconds if there was no other Pass through traffic.