1769-L35E and DeviceNet

Greg Dake

Greetings,

I have a 1769-L35E with a 1769-SDN module. Should I be able to drill down into the DeviceNet network via the Ethernet port on the L35E? It has been a while since I've used an L35E with DeviceNet, but the way I recall I could do this before. Does this processor have pass-through from the Ethernet port to the DeviceNet network? I can't get to the DeviceNet network in RSNetworx via the Ethernet port...

Thanks in advance,

Greg

Greetings,

I have a 1769-L35E with a 1769-SDN module. Should I be able to drill down into the DeviceNet network via the Ethernet port on the L35E? It has been a while since I've used an L35E with DeviceNet, but the way I recall I could do this before. Does this processor have pass-through from the Ethernet port to the DeviceNet network? I can't get to the DeviceNet network in RSNetworx via the Ethernet port...

Thanks in advance,

Greg

Start with RSLinx, since RSNetworx uses it for Communications. You may need to get an EDS for the 1769-SDN for your RSLinx. Which Version of RSLinx and RSNetworx for Devicenet are you using?

To answer your question, yes you should be able to Drill down to your Devicenet Network, and the Devices attached to it. As I said above, make sure you can do that with RSLinx first.

Stu.....

Stu,

All EDS files are current. I have lot of DeviceNet experience, just not so much with the L35E. I also thought I would get passthrough, but no luck.

Greg

Stu,

All EDS files are current. I have lot of DeviceNet experience, just not so much with the L35E. I also thought I would get passthrough, but no luck.

Greg

Greg:

Unfortunately, I don't run CompactLogix. All my Devicenet is on ControlLogix and SLC500 PLCs. However, if my understanding of the CompactLogix PLCs is correct, they are still on a Communications Bus even though they snap together, rather than plug into a Chassis. I presume the Terminator Cap is in place?

Hopefully Ken Roach will stop by tonight, and correct me if I have lead you astray.

Stu.....

You can definitely "drill down" from the Ethernet port on the 1769-L35E through the backplane object, through the 1769-SDN, to the DeviceNet network.

I do this all the time, but I also often get support calls with problems making it work, which virtually always have to do with EDS files.

One of the sections of an EDS file describes the ports the device has, so that RSLinx knows you can browse through the unit. A telltale giveaway that you're missing one of the EDS files is if there is no [+] icon where you expect one.

CompactLogix can be a little tricky with regard to getting all of the EDS files you need loaded and registered because there is a separate EDS file for the backplane object.

The best diagnostic would be to grab a screenshot of the graphical browse and post it.

Let's say you had a five-year old copy of RSLinx 2.43 and wanted to get support for a CompactLogix 1769-L35E with v17 firmware and a new 1769-SDN v4 scanner.

You would need to download and register:

1769-L35E EtherNet/IP Port (v17.x)
http://www.ab.com/networks/eds/cgi-bin/detail.pl?file=XX/0001000C00781100.eds

1769-L35E CPU (v17.x)
http://www.ab.com/networks/eds/cgi-bin/detail.pl?file=XX/0001000E00411100.eds

1769 Bus (v1.1)
http://www.ab.com/networks/eds/cgi-bin/detail.pl?file=XX/0001006C005B0100.eds

1769-SDN DeviceNet Scanner (v4.x)
http://www.ab.com/networks/eds/cgi-bin/detail.pl?file=XX/0001000C00690400.eds

Sometimes it's easier to just install an update of RSLinx Classic, but EDS files are lightweight and pretty straightforward to search for. Many new devices (and RSLinx 2.51 and later) allow you to upload the EDS as a GZip compressed file out of the device itself, though I don't think CompactLogix includes that feature.

If downloading an array of EDS files and running them through the RSLinx Hardware Registration Tool doesn't do the trick, post exactly which step in the "drill down" sequence you get stalled on.

Problem Solved

After updating and installing countless EDS files, which didn't help, I have solved the issue.

I burned the L-35E to V19 at the beginning of this project. It appears that the SDN is not compatible with V19 firmware on the L35-E.

If you go to the firmware update site, there is no V19 firmware for the SDN.

I rolled the controller back to v18 and the SDN performed as expected and I was able to get passthrough.

Greg

After updating and installing countless EDS files, which didn't help, I have solved the issue.

I burned the L-35E to V19 at the beginning of this project. It appears that the SDN is not compatible with V19 firmware on the L35-E.

If you go to the firmware update site, there is no V19 firmware for the SDN.

I rolled the controller back to v18 and the SDN performed as expected and I was able to get passthrough.

Greg

I am glad to hear that you resolved the problem Greg. Maybe Ken knows if there is an update pending for the 1769-SDN.

Stu.....

Well, that's news to me. v19 came out literally just days ago and I have not downloaded it or checked out any of the release notes.

I've never seen a new controller firmware revision that wouldn't work with an older DeviceNet scanner, but there's a first time for everything.

Greg, if you get the chance, would you post the Firmware revisions you have in the CompactLogix controller and in the 1769-SDN scanner ?