Speed Controls

BDL273

I have a motor with a gs3 drive on it from Automation Direct. I have 3 buttons controlling this motor I have forward, reverse and speed increase. I want the motor to ramp to 12hz with push and hold of either directional button and then when you push and hold the increase the speed needs to increase to 60Hz. I have this working fine the first time the problem is when I let go and pick and other or the same direction the motor ramps back to full speed without the increase button. Where can I set this at? I have gsoft and been though all the parameters a million times and read the manuel over and over I know I am missing something anyone ever try this before?

I have a motor with a gs3 drive on it from Automation Direct. I have 3 buttons controlling this motor I have forward, reverse and speed increase. I want the motor to ramp to 12hz with push and hold of either directional button and then when you push and hold the increase the speed needs to increase to 60Hz. I have this working fine the first time the problem is when I let go and pick and other or the same direction the motor ramps back to full speed without the increase button. Where can I set this at? I have gsoft and been though all the parameters a million times and read the manuel over and over I know I am missing something anyone ever try this before?

OK so if I read you right
1. On initial start you want motor to ramp to 12 Hz and hold there
2. On press increase decrease change motor speed desired speed - always 60 Hz ?? OR what?

YOu do not specify what you want when you reverse direction -
again to 12 Hz and hold OR to the speed setting you last set?

Dan Bentler

I want to always ramp to 12hz and hold till increase is pushed and held. If the motor is not running and you pick any direction it should ramp to 12hz and stay there forever only when you pick increase should it ramp to 60hz or whereever you let go of the increase. It works the first time but inverter set point frequency will not reset to 12hz it will ramp to 60 or 50 or whatever it was set to last how can i make the press of the directional button ramp to 12 hz everytime?

I don't think the GS3 has enough logic capability to do what you want it to do. Since you are an Automation Direct guy I would buy a DL05 and program it do the speed selection for you. I don't think your speed selection is straightforward enough to allow the drive to do it on it's own.

Keith

I think you're making this harder than need be.

Use the min speed parameter to set min Hz to 12

Set one input to "increase speed" and wire a pushbutton to it
Set one input to "decrease speed" and wire a pushbutton to it

If you need reverse you can set an input to forward/reverse and wire a selector swithc to it.

Or, you can probably do it all from the keypad.

It sounds to me like you are using the MOP or "floating point" speed control to get the speed to slide up to 60hz when you push the Increase Speed button. Unfortunately, the drive remembers the new 60hz setpoint and when you restart, it goes straight up to 60hz. Usually, somewhere in the setup parameters for floating point, you get a selection of "setpoint retained" or "setpoint released" every time you stop the motor I'm not familiar with the AD drive you mention so I can't suggest more details.

Look for the retained/not retained distinction in the parameters.

If you don't find anything that can help you with this, I can conceive of a little circuit using one relay to get the drive to do this. You will also need a Run/Stop relay output on the drive to get it done.

BDL273,

Try this.

P3.00 set to 01
P3.01 set to 00
P3.02 set to 03
P3.03 set to 04
P3.04 set to 05
P5.01 set to 12 hz
P5.02 set to 12 hz
P5.05 set to 60 hz
P5.06 set to 60 hz

Edit: If you need to run at a speed in between 12 and 60 Hz you will need something quite a bit different

threebutton.jpg

Last edited:
Try

When Fwd/Rev Button is pressed Duplicate the inputs to Digital inputs like milldrone's example
Program these for 16 - Reset Speed to Zero (P4.00 must be set to 01.)

Alternate Method - Wire the Fwd/Rev Pushbuttons with an extra contact - "OR" these into a Digital input to perform the reset Speed

Digital input for Ramp is 14 ***Increase Speed

Also set P4.17 Trim to 12 Hertz
AND set P4.18 to 03 so Reference is P4.00 + P4.17

How have you got DI1 DI2 and DI3 wired?

Last edited:
thanks for all the quick replies I will try some of the ideas you guys gave me today and report back I had an hitachi drive on this setup before and it worked just fine maybe the "cheaper" AD drive doesnt have what I am looking for. Thanks again I wil post later with results!