ControlLogix to PLC/SLC via KF2

Piper

I have a customer with a Data Highway system that uses it to tell the case conveyor that it palletizers infeed belt is running and that a full pallet load is available for the transfer car on the outfeed. We are up dating the palletizer to servo control and are installing a CompactLogix 1769-L32E to replace the PLC5. I need to communicate thru the DH+ to a SLC5/04 and a PLC5. I know there are various converters and such out there but the customer has decided that he has an old 1770-KF2 module that he wants to use. I have heard that this is possible but can't seem to find any direct info on this.
Does anybody know how to do this? Or if it can even be done.

Can you clear the question up. You just listed a large majority of AB processors. What do you want to talk Compact to Data Highway , SLC to DH+?
you mentioned Data Highway and Data Highway +. They arw not the same thing

Can you clear the question up. You just listed a large majority of AB processors. What do you want to talk Compact to Data Highway , SLC to DH+?
you mentioned Data Highway and Data Highway +. They arw not the same thing

I want to do this - 1769-L32E serial port to 1770-KF2 to DH+
Node 5 (SLC5/04.
Also residing on the network is a PLC5/20 at Node 24 octal(20 decimal) that I need to message.
The SLC5/04 is a priority and if I can get this talking I believe the PLC5 will be relatively easy to accomplish base on how I set up the comms with the SLC5/04.

As a side note, does anybody have any experience with either the DataLink Technologies DL3500-DH+/DF1 or the DL7000? Any issues with these?
We do quite few updates to machines and the ability to put a CompactLogix on an existing DH+ network rear its' ugly head again for sure. Couldn't get this customer off the 1770-KF2 for nothing.

how close is the SLC to the L32? You could use a DF1 pass thru on the SLC and not add any hardware. From what I remember the KF2 is OLD. I recommend you look at a ControlLogix DH+ to Ethernet bridge. Small easy system. Up and running in under 4 hours.

I'm not sure the distance, but if I remember right 50 foot is about the upper end of the serial comms amd I am sure the cable lenght would exceed 50 foot. The KF2 is old, but the customer wants to use it. I would prefer to use a new system such as the DL7000. I like that they even had programming examples on their web.

You can use RS485 adapters and get 3000 feet.
if the customer wants a KF2 give it to them. I recommend a CLX bridge cost comparison.

1770-KF2 = $0
anything else has been offered.
I don't need to know what shoulda/coulda, I need concrete info not speculation.

Yes, the connection you describe will work.

The 1769-L32E can transmit PLC-5 and SLC-500 data table Read and Write messages out of its serial port, which will be properly translated into DH+ messages by the 1770-KF2.

You'll have to fabricate a DB9/DB15 cable, and carefully match the serial port settings of the KF2's DIP switches to the software settings of the 1769-L32E Channel 0 serial port.

You're already familiar with the difference in target node addresses; DF1 uses Decimal addresses and DH+ uses Octal, so you won't be surprised by that.

Because the CompactLogix is initiating the messages, you won't even need to use the PLC/SLC Data Table Mapping function. Just type in the "N7:x" style PLC/SLC target addresses in the MSG instruction configuration.

Thanks Ken.
I found this doc on ABs site http://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22776
which describes the KF2 settings.
You said the pin out would be a 9 to 15, I can only find a reference for a 9 to 25 pin in this doc. http://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3836/kw/kf2%20cable/r_id/113025 The KF2 is already talking on the DH+ network so I don't need a pinout for that.
The path in the message statement looks like it should be 2, node address, but 3 looks like it is a possibility too.

Last edited:
The Message Path for the Channel 0 serial port on any ControlLogix family controller is "2, target node".

Only the 1769-L31 controller has a second serial port, which is CIP Port 3.

My cable recollection was wrong; the 15-pin connector is for DH+, while the 25-pin connector marked "Computer Asynchronous" is for RS-232. I've used the 1784-CP10 for this connection, or you can make your own.

I don't have a book infront of me but isn't the serial port on a CPT 1? then the node address?
I have only used a KF2 once and it had a 25 pin on the serial side. The 15 pin may have been on the DH+.

Ken isn't there something different about the Compact family when it comes to port numbering? Maybe the Ethernet port number,