Wireless barcode scanner

sparky64

We sometimes have problems with our component suppliers barcode labels, the issue is that the info contained within the barcode does not match the human readable info on the barcode label, and this causes all sorts of problems with our traceability.

Does anyone know of a company that supplies wireless barcode scanners, that have an lcd display on them, so we can see exactly what information is encrypted within the barcode when it's scanned, and we can check that the info from the barcode matches the human readable info.

Factory standard is Welch Allyn.

Cheers
Sparky

Sparky,

I think you need to push back (hard!) on your supplier. Insist that they install a bar code verifier and guarantee the integrity of the bar code. Give them examples of when it has gone wrong, and let them know the implications in your plant. A quality supplier will apologize profusely, and work very aggressively to fix the problem.

If you are looking to depend on your operators to scan, read the scanner and compare against the human readable, and then enter the data by typing/or scanning depending on how the compare goes . . . I don't envy you at all. It defeats the purpose of using bar codes.

If you really need to go through with this, most bar code verifiers will display the scanned bar code. I'd be willing to bet your current scanner manufacturer offers them. Most memory scanners will also give immediate feedback too. Caution though - most verifiers and memory scanners will cost about four times what a comparable reader costs.

Good luck,

Marc

I agree with all previous posts but what seam to be the problem to
provide labels with both barcode and human readable code. All lables I've seen so far have that (even label on the box of your Symbol barcode scanner). I know it because we use them all the time.

the issue is that the info contained within the barcode does not match the human readable info on the barcode label
If this is a chronic problem, then you should be soliciting bids from alternative vendors, particularly if your current vendor is unable or unwilling to reduce the frequency of mismatched labels to an acceptably low level.

Out of curiosity, which data turns out to be correct, the encoded or the human readable?

I agree with everyone's comments regarding the suppliers, and how they are supposed to verify their labels.
I have spoken to the quality people, the suppliers, the goods in inspectors, just about everyone involved with component issues, but still they cannot give me good labels.

Because the bad labels effect the traceability of the product, and the traceability systems are maintained by the controls department, this issue has been dumped on the controls guys!!!!! & believe me i have made very loud noises about this issue.

The labels normally have the correct human readable info for both the part number and the lot number, but the incorrect info for the lot number within the barcode.

I'm going to give the goods in inspectors the Symbol scanner, so they can verify the labels, and stop the incorrect labels being issued to the production lines, and before you all ask.....yes the controls department will have to reprint the incorrect labels with the correct info on them.

This will help with the traceability issues, but not with supplier issues, but I can't do alot about our suppliers, my hands are tied.

Cheers
Sparky :(

PS I haven't finished with the relevant departments yet!!! :D