Really this simple??

leitmotif

Got to calculating how much material I can put on a reel. Assume flat material whose width is same as reel ie not wire rope. Assume 1/2" thick such that one wrap is a change in diameter of one inch.

Here is what surprised me the change in circumferance per inch diameter change is 3.14 regardless of "starting diameter" ie circumferance change at 4 to 5 inch is same as that from 60 to 61.

Is it really this simple
circumberance change = Pi(D1 - D2)
or am I not thinking of something?

Dan Bentler

Last edited:
There is an old riddle that goes something like this:

Imagine the earth is perfect sphere with a 25,000 mi circumference and someone has put a steel band tightly around the equator. I have cut the band and added 10 ft. of steel to the band creating a uniform space between the band and the surface of the earth. What is the largest animal likely to fit under the elongated band: an ant, a mouse, a cat, a man?

OK Norm with band and 10 extra feet concentric to earth there is a 1.59 foot gap so the asnwer could be either the cat or a man assuming the man belly crawls thru the gap.

Dan Bentler

It's pretty obvious when you think about it?
Circumference = PI * D
So increasing D by 1 inch gives:
Circumference = PI* (D + 1) = PI*D + PI*1
Therefore increase in circumference = PI inches

The part that gets me is entuitively you would think there would be much greater difference in circumferance as you go out on wraps. But pi(D1- D2) holds true. Maybe the simpler things are harder to grasp or I just want to complicate it.

Thanks

Dan Bentler

There is an old riddle that goes something like this:

Imagine the earth is perfect sphere with a 25,000 mi circumference and someone has put a steel band tightly around the equator. I have cut the band and added 10 ft. of steel to the band creating a uniform space between the band and the surface of the earth. What is the largest animal likely to fit under the elongated band: an ant, a mouse, a cat, a man?
Logic would say that if the cat would fit, so will the mouse and the ant.

OK Norm with band and 10 extra feet concentric to earth there is a 1.59 foot gap so the asnwer could be either the cat or a man assuming the man belly crawls thru the gap.

Dan Bentler

Then do it again with the circumference of the moon..

Logic would say that if the cat would fit, so will the mouse and the ant.
That is why the problem said "largest..." :p