USB ro RS232 converter under Windows 7 XP-Mode

RMA

Has anybody had any joy getting a USB to RS232 converter to work under the Windows 7 Virtual PC - or any other virtual PC for that matter?

I've got a project where I have to use CodeSys V2.2 (about vintage 2002) and while the online communication worked fairly well for programming alone, as soon as I started using the customer's Java simulator for testing the whole thing screwed itself up so badly that I eventually couldn't even down load any more.

In order to help keep things clean I decided to try the Virtual PC route (I've been wanting to go down this route for a while, but never got round to it) and while the USB to CAN-bus adapter worked fine a variety of USB - RS232 convertors refused to work. Unfortunately all of them used the Prolific chip, so if anybody knows an adapter which uses a different chip, that might be a useful starting point.

Yes mine works fine under a VMware VM and under the host Win7 64 bit. BTW, I use a Keyspan USB serial adapter, it works great!

No problems with the Omron one with either 32 or 64 bit Windows 7. it is an FTDIChip device made for Omron.

I recently bought the cheapest of cheap USB to RS485 converters. I think it cost $12.00 or so. This was RS485 for connecting to a Siemens MPI port. They also had the 232/422 variety for the same price. I have a dual Xeon Win7/64 here and it works w/o a hitch. It has the typical Texas Inst. USB interface chip PL2303. The Chinglish in the manual that came on the CD was amuzing to read. All-in-all I figrued I'd try it and it does work so I guess I'll recommend it. I've attached the manual so you can get the info.

Under your device mananger are you getting errors with your adapters you have tried?
Under "Other devices" I've got three "Virtual PC Integration devices" in yellow with no details, which I assume are the three USB ports, however, the mouse and the CAN-Bus adapter are working fine and allow themselves to be attatched in the virtual PC with no problems.

According to one blurb I found regarding the Prolific chip adapter, it ought to install itself under the COM and LPT device category, but for some reason it doesn't, doesn't give any fault message when you try to install it though.

Looks like I'll have to see if I can dig up a Keyspan adapter somewhere.

Thanks for the contributions so far.

Cheers

Roy

Be sure you have the right Profilic Driver!

I think this may be the source of the problem, I had a bit of trouble getting a couple of the adapters to work directly on the Laptop (i.e. not in the Virtual PC) until I finally tracked down the latest version of the driver on the ATEN site, however, none of these will work on the Virtual PC although the driver is supposed to be for XP as well as Vista and 7. The funny thing is that it appears to install without any problems but afterwards it doesn't appear under the COM and LPT devices in the device manager.

That's the same I had before, after re-installing Windows 7 the prolem was solved without any special download.
Just connect the cable, and Windows found the right driver, installed it, and everything was up and running.

The thing you have to keep in mind, is to use a USB 2 port.

Try right clicking on it and see if you can update the drivers... it 'should' show up under ports and should have a COM number

If it shows up under anything other then its not loaded correct

I have a USB prolific driver www.plctrainer.net/GenericDriversUSB.zip

Try it... I do not sell them anymore but I did sell a lot of them and they worked good

Try right clicking on it and see if you can update the drivers... it 'should' show up under ports and should have a COM number

I've tried that too, no error messages everything looks like it's worked OK, but no new device in the COM LPT directory afterwards.

I've dug out an ancient Dell (actually it's not t h a t old, but it sure is slow!) complete with genuine serial interface so that I can actually get some work done, but I'll give the driver a try tomorrow on my new laptop and see if it does any better.

Cheers

Roy

I've tried that too, no error messages everything looks like it's worked OK, but no new device in the COM LPT directory afterwards.

If its not under COM then what is it listed as? have you deleted it and re-installed

Pay for shipping and I will send you one of mine... USPS is cheap but slow :)