24 VDC Distance

For inputs check the PLC manufacturers spec sheet. Looking at Siemens s7-200 PLC they give 300 metres unshielded, 500 metres shielded (you may want to reduce this in a very noisy environment). For the indicators / pilot lights you need to look at the current required for the device, the switching frequency and what danger there may be if you get a false indication.

Bryan

What is a safe distance to run 24 vdc wiring?

From the PLC to pilot lights / Pushbuttons and starters?

Is 300 - 400 feet excessive?

Depends on the acceptable voltage drop. Code typically calls for 5%(?), so you would do your calculations based on current requirements and size wire accordingly. If your running a noisy environment, AC I/O might be a better choice.

I like X-Mas gifts guys. I am always running a 100 MPH going nowhere and running late.

What is a safe distance to run 24 vdc wiring?

From the PLC to pilot lights / Pushbuttons and starters?

Is 300 - 400 feet excessive?
300-400 feet isn't excesive, but I would advise you to use relay outputs and inputs for the PLC, and also while wiring such a long distance it's recomended that DC wires are vertical to AC wires, or that they have a good shield (ground the shield on ONLY one end of the cable).