ab 1200 communication

Narlin

Lifetime Supporting Member
i have a customer with an existing AB1200 that has a RS232 panelview attached. It (the 1200) has some spare I/O and the customer would like me to extend the current program to operate 5 new valves in another part of the building. He needs limited OIT capability in the new setup and i could provide user input with a few pushbuttons, but i need to have the PLC echo some readings back onto some kind of display with characters. The 1200 does not appear to support a 2nd OIT. Can anyone recommend a solution?

narlin

Without totally answering my own Q?, I could add a 1761-NET-ENI which should allow for an ethernet address and thus communication to another net device. So what is an inexpensive e-net display device for use in another room? Also, with the Ethernet addition, could the additional device be a full OIT to talk back and forth in additionto the existing panelview?

Yes, the NET-ENI would allow you to replace both HMI devices with ethernet capable devices.

In order to keep the functionality of the existing serial Panelview, I think you would need a Digi One IAP (which is like the NET-ENI but with two configurable serial ports not limited to Allen-Bradley protocols).

Please provide catalog number of your existing PanelView.

Other options would be to:
a) use DH485 and a NET-AIC (or 2 or 3) and switch the existing Panelview protocol to DH485 (if possible).
b) Add a gateway device like a Red Lion G3 and make it the ethernet bridge and 2nd HMI
c) serial port splitter (not sure what the limitations would be).

Keep in mind that ethernet comms through a serial port can't speed up the serial port! So once you get the devices on Ethernet, be sensible in how much data you try to remotely access and keep it organized.

To add specifics, I think we need to know the physical distances between devices (existing and proposed) and the catalog numbers of the PLC and existing HMI.