Simple program

cnels18

Supporting Member
Hello all i'm trying to write a simple program using RSLogix 500. I will use a micrologix 1000 processor. I have two cylinders A and B. I want A to extend and retract then B to extend. The question is how do i implement a timer to keep B extended long enough, so that i can extend A again. Thanks in advance.

As I understand your question this is the steps you defined:
1. Extend A
2. Retract A
3. Extend B
4. With B extended, Extend A

Some questions:
What are the rest of the steps or does everything stop after A extends the 2nd time?
Are there sensors to detect when A and B cylinders are in the retracted or extended position?
Are you required to use timers to guess when the cylinders are retracted or extended rather than use sensors?

Yes we want to use timers to hold the cylinders in the extended positon for a short time period. I want to the PLC to turn on two SMC valves to extend the cylinders. I'll try and list the steps.
A extend Output 0/0
A Retract Output 0/1
B Extend Output 0/2
Timer to keep B extended for .3 seconds while A extends
A extend
A retract
B retract.

I can use sensors to determine the cylinder position but i just don't know how ti implement the TON timer. I'll attach the start of my program and where i get stuck.
moz-screenshot.png
moz-screenshot-1.png
moz-screenshot-2.png

Last edited:
1. Have you actually tried to run this on actual equipment?

2. Make a copy of your .RSS file, change the extension to .zip, then attach that file. Your pictures are unreadable.

See my version attached...don't see why timer is required if you have sensors telling you where the cylinders are? Not sure about the IO in my program, as Bernie said your pics are not legible.

A extend Output 0/0
A Retract Output 0/1
B Extend Output 0/2
Timer to keep B extended for .3 seconds while A extends
A extend
A retract
B retract.
You reference a timer to keep B extended.
But then you note that A extends then retracts. Only after that does B retract. So the two don't make sense together.

When you post your program please note the actual physical setup and what you are trying to accomplish. There seems to be at least one sensor you haven't mentioned. Does each cylinder have a separate 'extended' and 'retracted' sensor? We need to have a complete understanding to help you.

Sorry guys was on vacation. I'm trying to run the program i did later today. I'll have the program uploaded with all the steps and where i got stuck. You're correct Bernie the process calls for cylinder A to pick up a part then B will extend, but it needs to stay out long enough for A to place the part then go back up. That's why i wanted to keep B extended for a short time then to extend and retract A. I have four sensors for the two cylinders to check for the extension and retract stroke.

Here is a copy of the program i wrote. I did up to rung 3 and it worked fine. I then added the other part, but then output O:0/11 would latch and not unlatch. I know i'm missing something but i can't put my finger on it. I need B to latch because A will extend and place a part in another part. I don't know how to do it if i just energize the output.

In reference to file in post #12:
There is a double coil error for O:0/8 OTE. It is being used in rung 3 and rung 9.
There is a double coil error for O:0/9 OTU. It is being used in rung 2 and rung 8.
There is a double coil error for O:0/9 OTL. It is being used in rung 0 and rung 6.
On rung 10, what is I:0/18 supposed to be doing? If it isn't true when T4:2 is DN (done), maybe that is why O:0/11 is not unlatching.
I have another question, Does each cylinder use one solenoid (spring return type) or two solenoids (one to extend and one to retract)?
I keep getting myself confused, could you please list the steps again, in order, please?

Last edited:
Ok :) I want to extend cylinder A to pick up a part.
Then retract cylinder A
Extend cylinder B then latch it in that position.
Extend cylinder A to place the part it picked up earlier.
Then retract cylinder A.
Then retract cylinder B.
I have four sensors to check the position of the cylinders.

rung 3 works fine because i did that part first to verify that my latch works fine. The problem is i don't know how to reset the latch bit if the program errors out.