HMI Application Features

mflaugh

For once I have some time in my development process and I was thinking about new "features" that I could include in my HMI application. I have all the standards like trending, manual control, alarm history, etc..

But I'm looking to add something new that would be a benefit to my end user. I work for an OEM who supplies support (not direct process), standalone equipment for the pharmaceutical industry.

Anyone have anything that they are really "proud of" in their applications that you would be willing to share?

I've been thinking of ways to track OEE over time, increased operator commenting, etc... But I was hoping for something a little "flashier"..

Thanks for any help.

mark

For the operator interface I would look outside the HMI field, maybe adapt something from the iPhone touch interface. Anything that gets the user involved in the process will keep them invested and interested. A little bit of fun is also good, I spent hours getting a screen to look good but the thing that they remember and comment on is the smiley face that comes up when things are working well.

What we've found helpful is asking the operators what they'd like. After all, they have to live with the machine daily. sometimes they come up with things from way out but usually, if they see that you're really trying to be helpful, they can have some pretty nice ideas.

One of the most useful parts of any HMI is the ability for screen to display what is going on any time the machine is not performing correctly. On our conveyor controls, we go to the "nth degree" to show the operators and maintenance staff anything we can that will help them get back running again: jam points, bad/misaligned sensors, etc. When an operator can easily see what's wrong (and maybe even correct the issue) they'll be happier and so will the bosses.

Unfortunately, one of the problems with our industry is that the true operators don't see the machine until months even years after shipment. They have very little input and we often have no access to them (multiple layers of management, engineering contractors, etc).

I like the idea of "online" troubleshooting. I will have to investigate some options for that. I'm thinking "smart" alarm banners...

I do most things over communications networks now, so always make a point to give an actual fault message for any intelligent device fault (like a drive / flowmeter, etc) instead of just a number.