Remote Service: preference OpenVPN, IPSec

bits'bytes

Hello,

we are developing a remote maintenance solution for our machines. We want to use VPN Routers which dial out (from the machine to our VPN Server).

It seems as a general decision we have to go for OpenVPN or IPSec.

How should we decide, what are the mainly reasons for each solution.

Any input welcome and thanks in advance.

br
bb

The e*w*o*n that The PLC Kid mentions are based on a version of Open VPN (the * are there because the system here deletes the name). You can also get them to contact one of your servers rather than theirs. But I don't have the knowledge on what you could do once they contacted your system.

Hi,

We have about a dozen of these in the field at the moment.

http://www.teltonika.lt/en/pages/view/?id=976 (currently retailing at about £180)

We're using them for both remote access (mainly to AB Micrologix PLCs) and for data capturing (via SQL databases). They essentially initiate an openvpn connection back to our office static IP.

Hope this helps.

Rob