PLC remote monitoring service.

Elcan

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,
Anyone has experience in how to charge for a PLC remote monitoring service? The idea is to connect to the PLC (via PLC modem, Ethernet, etc.) when the customer wants us to troubleshoot a problem.
How do you thing the service should be charged? Annual flat fee? Annual fee + service call? etc.

I would like to know what is being used around there.

Thank you!

We put an Allen-Bradley 9300 RADES modem in our panels as a standard. We use it as a selling feature. Our standard warranty is one year from startup. During that time we will dial in for free to fix bugs. If they want an enhancement at any time, warranty period or not, it is chargeable at $150/hr. After the warranty period, any remote call in is billable at $150/hr.
Get a PO first.
Now, there are exceptions. For example in the case of a very good customer or one with whom relations are strained, we will not charge.

And I wonder why people ask for password work arounds...

We have a number of machines on site, out of warranty, that we were (once upon a time) locked into the type of arrangements that you above speak of. Thank goodness we got around it. My time at $35/hr as the full time plant sparky is alot more realistic than the $350 initial service fee + the $105/hr we were charged.

My opinion is only an opinion, but if your're gonna tie us in like that, than at least charge accordingly. I'm meaning paying engineers rates to diagnose a tempermental encoder or load cell is the same as using a Ferrari F-40 as a taxi. Thank you for your password, and thanks for the rip off service.

As you can tell, many a bad experience!

HJTRBO,
This won't be our case. Our code is not password protected, and it was the customer who asked us to provide them this kind of service.
Thank you for you comment, anyway!

I think godfrey is on the right track. The warranty period is a great idea. Changes beyond warranty issues should be billed the same as if you were onsite making the changes. If you start making small remote changes here and there for free, then it will become expected. But the first time they get a bill for a small change that was requested, you'll see the small requests slow down or stop all together.