RSlinx driver

cornbread

Lifetime Supporting Member
Just loaded RSlogix 5000 and I need to set up drivers for the PLC. They are all set up with IP addresses. In my RSlinx classic I have two options.

Ethernet devices
or
Ethernet IP driver

I think both will work but is one better than other?

They will both work, but in different ways.

With Ethernet Devices, you manually enter each IP Address that you want to communicate with.

With Ethernet IP, you specify the network card that you want to talk on and it will scan for all Ethernet I/P devices on that network

One reason you might pick the Enet devices driver is if the network you are on has a ton of devices and you want to make sure that you only talk to certain ones.

Yes, they will both work, and which you choose will depend on how you want to use it.

The "standard" EtherNet driver does not have the capability to "browse" the subnet - and you have to manually enter the IP addresses of devices that RSLinx needs to communicate with. It is a driver you would have to use with devices that are not "IP" aware (and in this case IP stands for Industrial Protocol, not Internet Protocol).

When you use the "/IP" Ethernet driver, you just specify the SubNet, and the driver will show you who is "out there" on that subnet.

In either case, if the EDS files for the devices are installed on the PC, then RSLinx can communicate with them.

There is probably an overhead in using the /IP driver, but it has never caused me any bother, I'm sure there's people on here who can amplify on this.

In my case I always use the IP driver, unless the equipment that I want RSLinx to "see" doesn't support the IP protocol.