How to search in RS5000

fishenguy

We only have like 3 AB's in this plant that run RS 5000. Never really had any problem with them. Today an output went bad and we had to change the program to use another unused output. The biggest problem was searching for that output number in the program. We did not know the tag name of said output. We went to the search box and typed in the out-put number (module 5 terminal 28) and got no results.

Just or HA-HAs I opened the ladder and did a search for an output that I saw in the rungs. Using the exact same format as the output was shown as. ie...<outputs_O_05.0> Again no results.

Finally i opened the controller tags and opened the edit tags page and did my editing there.

Is there any way possible to do a search when all you know is the module number, in this case 5, and the terminal number 28?

Thanks, Dave

you could open the "controller tags" files as suggested. when it opens scroll down to Local input/output you are looking for. eg.. Local:5:O for slot five output zero.

terminal numbers usually refer to a hardwire spot on the cabinet and not the slot and output number.

after you find it ... right click on the tag..and select "go to cross reference for "tag" "

should list all used of the input/output to change.

Robo

Thanks for the reply, I know you can find the output number there, but if I wanted to use another output to replace a bad one, how would i search to see if that output is being used? I don't want to change the output to something being used if I missed seeing it in the tags. I hope I made myself understood. You know how in 500 you can open the output box and click usage or search for output O:5/6. Can you somehow do this in 5000?

Don't.

Seriously.

Right click and "go to cross reference" when searching from within RSLogix5000.

Find works too but still is rarely productive for me unless I need to search for comments or descriptions or something other than tags.

Going from RSLogix5 and 500 to 5000 I have replaced my CTRL+F habit with the Cross Reference which pops up click-navigable results.

We only have like 3 AB's in this plant that run RS 5000. Never really had any problem with them. Today an output went bad and we had to change the program to use another unused output. The biggest problem was searching for that output number in the program. We did not know the tag name of said output. We went to the search box and typed in the out-put number (module 5 terminal 28) and got no results.

Just or HA-HAs I opened the ladder and did a search for an output that I saw in the rungs. Using the exact same format as the output was shown as. ie...<outputs_O_05.0> Again no results.

Finally i opened the controller tags and opened the edit tags page and did my editing there.

Is there any way possible to do a search when all you know is the module number, in this case 5, and the terminal number 28?

Thanks, Dave

For real I/O, just go straight to the I/O tree or the Controller tags like you figured out. You should see Local data and possibly Remote data, and remember that these 1756 cards will almost always supply a lot more information than you are used to, so in the Tag viewer, use the little "+" and "-" icons on the left to hide things you don't care about and show things you do.

I often use the I/O tree to help me identify how the data is laid out.

Someone with access to references or software can give you the nitty gritty on the I/O tag default naming strategies, which can be altered by things such as renaming modules in the I/O tree, renaming adapters, add on profiles, and other layers of can-be-confusing features.

I also recommend that you go online with all of these machines and familiarize yourself with them when in a good running condition. Hunt down some modules and monitor them. Study how they are programmed, etc. Then, under pressure, you will have the upper hand.

Hope this helps,
Paul

In the controller tags file right click on the word for the whole output card's outputs.

For example Local:5:0 is a whole word. Right click and do a cross-reference. You will see anywhere individual outputs (and the entire output as a whole word) are used. If there are no 'whole word' references and no individual references you may be able to use that output. Make sure it is of the appropriate type. If you see none then go to the next output word. If, after going through all you see none then you may be out of luck.

Thanks Paul, as a matter of fact, I am on line to a 5000 that isn't in use right now and checking it out. Your information was helpful.

Thanks again for understanding what I'm looking for.

Dave

I appreciate your quick reply ROBO. And Bernie, I just saw what you were telling me. That helped alot. Thanks

I love this Forum.

Dave

well born was on the right track.. his post was just shorter than mine.. and bernie longer.. and Okie would not shut up..lol

Bernie, I opened tag Local:2:I cross reference and noticed that Data 0 through 16 was mapped but nothing was labeled under Base tag or description. Does that mean that all of these are available to use?

I agree with using Cross Reference....however

You CAN search and find this.

This issue you are running into is that most likely the programmer did not use that hard-coded tag name, but instead chose to use an alias. For example:

Let's say this item you traced back had a tag name of Local:5:O.Data.12

The programmer created a new tag named "Trailing_Edge_Limit" and made that tag an alias to Local:2:O.Data.12. When the programmer entered the logic, they used the name Trailing_Edge_Limit. So when you searched for the Local tag, it didn't come up.

In the search window browse to or type in the tag name, then in the Limit To field select References to Tag. Click Find All.

But, I agree with the others that Cross Reference is really the better tool.

OG

One other thing to remember when using search is the "Find Within" button toward the bottom of the search page. There is about 5 options of where to look ie: Rung Comments,Instructions,Instruction Descriptions, Rung type etc. So make sure those boxes are checked to what you want to search. It can be helpful limiting your search. Let's say Rung comments. If you have commented your Rungs with a good description. Then the search will take you straight to it. I also right click tag in the Tag File to get Cross Reference info.

Okie would not shut up..lol

I get that a lot. Most people figure out pretty quick when to ignore me, but buried in my blabberings are sometimes some useful stuff. I am bad about providing too much information, some of it speculative, but I do it to prod others to think about things maybe they hadn't and to correct me when my lips run-eth over so I can learn new stuff too.

Paul