Control Logix

Skid

I know that people hate the new guy but I need some help. Can anyone guide me to some beginner help with Logix 5000 and a Compact logix L35E processor. I just want to upload a file....Program mode? Run? Ethernet Cable?Crossover?
Sorry to be so basic. Need help:(

Starting with basic- You'll need RSLogix 5000 and RSLinx. If that's a given, then if you're plugging directly into the processor you will need a crossover cable. If the PLC is plugged into a switch then you can use a standard ethernet cable.

You'll also need to go into your computer's network connections and set your ip address to be in the same range as your PLC. Ex.: PLC is 192.68.10 set your computer to 192.68.X with X being greater than 0, less than 255 and not equal to the PLC or any other device on your network.

If you don't know what the PLC's IP is then you may have to connect via RS232 first.

The rest you can find through most RSLinx guides. Here's a basic L32E manual:

http://www.aschome.com/PDFs/CompactLogix1769L32-L35.pdf

just to make sure ...

I'm in a jam and really need it.

a statement like that USUALLY sort-of-kind-of goes along with a DOWN-load operation - and not so often with the UP-load operation that you mentioned ...

you need to realize that "UP-load" means that you're moving the program FROM the PLC processor TO the programming computer ...

and ...

"DOWN-load" means that you're moving the program FROM the programming computer TO the PLC processor ...

this is one of those 50/50 situations - that somehow seems to turn out WRONG about 90% of the time ...

incidentally, the more details you tell us about what you're trying to do - and WHY - then the more detailed help we can offer you ...

and welcome to the forum ...

Last edited:
I know that people hate the new guy...

You'll find NONE of us "hate the new guy". The regular posters here are all professionals who have been in the business a while. The reason we're here is to help one another (very rarely will you be the first person to encounter a particular problem -- we can share from our experiences) and to help the younger, newer members of our profession. We want you to be competent, because someday you might be a coworker/employee/contractor working for us.

What we hate is people who come on here asking us to do their homework for them. When we do a lazy student's homework for him/her, he/she learns nothing and it only goes to further his/her ignorance. However, when a student shows us that they are indeed interested in learning and are willing to provide the effort needed to demonstrate what they've already learned, you'll find no more willing teachers than the members here.

Since you guys are so nice and everyone seems to be adept at what you do. I'll put something together to briefly explain my dilema. Thanks

Where in PA. are you located? You don't have to be specific East, West, Central, North ,South ???

Here goes. Very recently I was hired as an Application and New product design Engineer. I have been in Engineering almost 20 years with experience in VME, Black Box, Siemens and a very long time ago ALLEN BRADLEY. Because this Employer is overwhelmed with work they asked if I would take over a job where I could use a sister project as a go by, just change some screens and tags and take it for a FAT. I was given a laptop with RS LOGIX 5000 and a Control Logix L35E processor to work with. So I want to upload the project currently in the CPU save it somewhere, Modify the go by program that is currently on the Laptop (change some HMI screens/tags/Name and so on and finally download and test. Problem is with the Bradley everything is new to me and I don’t want to let these guys down…….Oh ya, only a few days to do it. Easy for you guys……not so much for me.

Skid,

In my opionion, you are making a critical mistake. How do you know that the program on the laptop is the current version? We have several laptops here and the only thing we know for sure is that the plc program is the master, all laptop programs are not current until you do an upload and i even make a backup of the laptop program first.

I learned that the hard way.

regards,
james

you have a noble quest ...

if you still aren't communicating, give me a call and I'll try to walk you through the steps ...

you can find my number by clicking the link below my signature ...

I've got a little bit of spare time right now ... later - maybe not ...

incidentally, this will come under the heading of free, friendly advice ...

if you decide not to call, I still wish you good luck with your project ...

Last edited:
BCE/James,
I just got the latest from our network and downloaded it the laptop. It's the sister that's currently out in the field doing it's thing. I also have all the documentation from the job to compare it to as well. In addition it's not only this job, I want to learn while i'm doing this so that if and when I screw something up I'll know how to fix it.

Ron,
I'll probably take you up on that too. I need all the help I can get.

Just a note you can post your program here, if its not against company policy it makes it easier for those helping. There are lots of folks here that can help, believe me there's some great folks here!