Control Logix

yes somthing like 192.168.100.10 255.255.255.0 have you done ipconfig/all ,on your laptop to determine your current settings? I am not an it guy here so someone else would be better to answer the network stuff

the l35e has no onboard I/O so if you dont have the processor that you will modify in hand you can not gaurenty the program is the same as the one in the field so be sure and do a compare ( to the real field processor) before loading any changes you make do an upload and save it do not modify it make a copy and work with it! sounds like you are only hooking to the new processor at this time right?

at this point your processor still has to be flashed you will need to do this at some point however you do not have to do this to write your program it can be done offline you may want to step back a bit and get familiar with logix 5000 at this time if you have not already there are some getting started videos in your help files you should watch if you have not. if you have done this already try and let folks know where your at IE: have you started your program mods? do you have a descriptive of what you need to modify/add?

I noticed more than 1 place to set IP address. Can you tell me definitively where these guys need to be set in order to match.

This is almost as easy as changing the name of the project and a couple HMI items. I don't have to write all the code it's already done. The CPU that I have is one that we use in house to write and test code. Once it is complete the new software will be dumped to the new processor. I just need to establish communication right now and I agree that it has to be with the IP. For now I just need to know the two places that the IP must be changed.

go to cmd prompt and type ipconfig/all to see the current settings of the laptop you will probably have a wireless and others, but you need to know what address scheme will be used on site. if you have the offline file of the existing processor you can look at the address it has and set your new one up to match. Again wait till someone with more knowledge than I chimes in before you do this!!

As far as setting the IP on your computer:

Start> Connect To> Show All Connections

Click on the Local Area Connection of your ethernet card. Right click properties. Under General Tab scroll to the bottom or near the bottom> Internet Protocol(TCP/IP). Highlight then click Properties. Click Use the following IP Address> Put in IP address as I told you before- Same as the processor up to the last position then make that number greater than zero and less than 255, but not the same as any other device on your network which should just be the processor. Put in a subnet of 255.255.255.0 or 255.255.254.0 is also acceptable. Best to put in the same subnet on the PLC as well. Default gateway is not important for what you are doing and can be left blank.

It simple to set the ip but if this is an existing test plc it most likely has an ip assigned. you may just need to set the ip in adv config of your network adapter the local network adapter properties right click on INTERNET properties and config the address there are you familiar with this?

As bce123 says, there are different ways to do this, but mine keeps you from having to go to the cmd prompt.

The above are directions using XP.... your mileage may vary.

You can use the BootP even if the IP of your laptop is not the same. Now if this is not a new out of the box processor then BootP may be turned off and you won't be able to use this method unless there's someway to manually take the processor to factory defaults. If not, then you will need to connect via RS232 first unless you know the IP of that PLC.

Via 232 you would connect a DF1 cable, find a DF1 driver on the laptop or create one. Choose your processor and hit the AutoConfigure button. If successful you should see it through an RSWho.