1761 net ini cant connect to configure

Dennis g

this is my first time posting usally you guys already have a thread with my answer. I have a 1761 net ini ser D im trying to connect using a belken usb to serial it starts uploading the says check cables and com port. I cant even ping the default ip address.

this is my first time posting usally you guys already have a thread with my answer. I have a 1761 net ini ser D im trying to connect using a belken usb to serial it starts uploading the says check cables and com port. I cant even ping the default ip address.

Try using the ENI utility first. It's important that you not have your COM port tied up with another process. If it's used in RSLinx, disable the driver.

Once you establish COMMS over the serial interface, you can assign a static IP address or select whether to obtain one from BOOTP or DHCP server.

I think that the 1761-NET-ENI utility was one of the last RA utility programs that wouldn't work with a USB/RS232 converter.

Because it's a Series D you can use the COM Port Redirector software (www.ab.com/micrologix) and use the utility that way.

Of course, you do need to find out the IP address.

First try the BOOTP/DHCP Utility to see if it's still set for BOOTP (if it's new, it will be) and then maybe try plugging it in to a switch while you're running Wireshark to listen for the ARP packet it will send out as a duplicate IP detection mechanism.

Ken,

I use a USB/232 converter with the ENI utility every time I use the utility. It is a Keyspan converter.

Shawn

I tried using the port redirection utility with no luck i tried to ping the factory ip and nothing. I can see the comm led flickering when trying to connect using serial. I closed rslinx and that didn't do anything. tommorrow i'm going to try another computer with a built in serial port. is there anyway to do a hard reset on this unit?

back up just a bit; the Net-ENI utility will conflict with RSLinx Classic and with RSLinx Enterprise, or with any other serial utility that wants to use that port. It's possible that you have some other driver that is attempting to use the serial port.

I think you'll have better luck with a built-in serial port.

shawn_75; thanks for the update. Last time I tried the Keyspan USA-HS19 was several years ago and it didn't. It might depend on Keyspan firmware and Net-ENI firmware.

I was able to get connected and issue an ip address and I can see the net ini device in rslinx but not the compact logix am I missing something? im connected into channel 1 on the compact logix

BCC, CRC, whatever it takes

The most common mismatch between CompactLogix and the Net-ENI is the error checking mechanism.

Because the Net-ENI was intended as a MicroLogix accessory, it defaults to CRC error checking, which is standard on SLC-500 and MicroLogix controllers.

CompactLogix and ControlLogix family controllers default to BCC error checking.

That's not the only issue; look in the Knowledgebase and you'll see a bunch of Net-ENI Series B documents about "CompactLogix routing".

But sort out the Error Checking first, then mess about with CompactLogix-specific features.