1761-net-ini to slc504 interface issue

facuff

I have a 1761-net-ini connected to a slc504. I have been talking to it wireless over a bridge, for about a year. The wireless is very unstable, so I ran fiber over to it and have the 1761-net-ini on the network, the 1761 shows in the RSlinx , but I cannot, in any way, see the slc504. I am using the AB_ETHIP driver running RSlinx Classic Lite Rev. 2.57.00.14., The 1761 shows up as "192.168.110.2, ENI, 1761-NET-ENI/C" so, RSlinx is seeing it, and recognizes it. I am using the same cable that I configured the 1761 with,to connect to the slc504, rs232 port. I have that port configured DF1 Full Duplex 19200, no parity, 1 stop bit, ID 1, CRC.

So, what more can I do?

I can't explain why the device would work over an unreliable wireless connection but then not work over a reliable fiber connection, unless something else changed in the system.

The question mark generally indicates that the device EDS file isn't registered with RSLinx Classic; you need to download the EDS from an RA server and use the Hardware Installation Tool (included with RSLinx Classic) to register it.

Your serial settings look correct, for an SLC-5/04 with the default Channel 0 serial port configuration.

I was the missing eds for a NET-ENI series C or D way back forever ago and had similar symptoms.

The Ethernet IP driver will always show the NET-ENI (or Digi One IAP Module) but if you pick it when trying to go online, it will still work.

The Ethernet Devices driver will show the device behind the NET-ENI (or Digi IAP).

Unless you are missing the eds file, in which case I don't think you can go online through RSLinx.

Find your eds file here:
http://www.rockwellautomation.com/rockwellautomation/support/networks/eds.page?

Be sure to use the wizard to register it...

RSLinx_001.jpg

Last edited:
These things never cease to amaze me! I've been working with controls for over thirty years, and why the simplest things can sometimes throw a monkey wrench into the works is unbelievable.

I must have registered the EDS files a half a dozen times, I reconfigured the SLC and 1761 ports. I checked and rechecked the fiber and fiber converters. I pulled my hair, scratched my butt, said a prayer and beat the wife! Nothing worked! I thought about it in my dreams last night, got up early this morning, deleted my NIC card, reconfigured the static IP, low and behold, it works!

Why in the world can't things be simple. One day some plain Joe is going to come along, flip the wrong darn switch and shut the whole world down! It's that simple!

The sad thing about it is, it's people like us that will help him do it!