PLC to LCD

deanfran

As part of my self teaching journey I want to build a better trainer. I will be using an analogue CLICK as the CPU with a few switches and lights, but I think I want to push myself a little bit, and build the PANIC MODE current signal generator, to simulate analogue input and I think I understand how to get that done. What I thought would be cool is a simple LCD display to mimic a process meter/controller. I know the CLICK PLCs will do ASCII serial output, and I think I can work out how to get that part of it done, but I haven't been able to understand how to wire up the header pins on an LCD to the COM port of a PLC. I have a cheap 2X16 display that I thought would do the trick. I am not asking for an the answer to this question, but would appreciate being pointed to any type of general tutorial or guide to how it is done, that I can use to figure it out. TIA

Sure a C-more micro would be nice, but at $160 for a non touch panel it seems a bit pricey for a DIY project. I am hoping with my method first I can do it for a few bucks, and learn a little something along the way.

Just to clarify what you're looking for: do you want to display text messages from your PLC program, or do you want to monitor the PLC's analog output values? Really, both would seem like good features to have in a trainer.

For displaying text, you might consider a null-modem cable connecting to a (real or virtual) serial port on a PC, and use a terminal-emulation program.

For monitoring analog outputs, there are digital and analog panel meters in the appropriate ranges for under $10 on eBay, and I think Harbor Freight has a digital multimeter for even less. For learning purposes, you might find an analog meter more helpful, since it's easier to see the direction and rate of change of whatever you're measuring.

I thought it would be a good exercise to scale the 4-20mA input signal from the above mentioned signal generator, and be able to send engineering units to the LCD. I hadn't even considered the idea of using the analogue outputs. I will have to take a look at panel meters on ebay. This is all just about learning automation. I found the programming to be the easiest part, but the actual choosing of I/O devices and how to wire them correctly much more challenging.

Do you know any VB? What about advanced Hmi? Also I believe that the red lion emulator will run for a while in emulator mode. Although I've never used either with a click.