PLC with LCD problems :(((

around 300 $ for the project
You could buy a PLC that has a built-in or attachable LCD screen (Omron ZEN, Automation Direct DL-06, many others). Then to display variables on the PLC LCD screen, follow the directions in the PLC manual. Here is the first page of Chapter 10 from the Automation Direct DL-06 User Manual:

Introduction to the DL06 LCD Display Panel
The DL06 LCD Display Panel is a 16 character, two row display that mounts directly on the
face of the DL06 PLC. The LCD is backlit for easy readability in most lighting situations.
There are multiple ways of interacting with the LCD Display Panel:
• Built-in keypad
• LCD ladder instruction
• Using ladder instructions to write bit status changes to specified memory locations
The seven function keys on the face of the LCD Display Panel give the user access to clock
and calendar setup, V-memory data values or I/O status, etc. Individuals with password
authorization can:
• Change clock or calendar
settings or formats
• Monitor or change V-memory
values (including DWord values)
• Force individual bits on or off
(up to 16 per screen)
• Review error code history
• Set or change the password
• Turn the back light or buzzer on or off
The potential uses for the DL06’s LCD display vary widely. An operator can change values
for setting up batch processes or machine timing for manufacturing different products.
Maintenance personnel can interface in the control cabinet to identify machine problems.

LCD messages can be preprogrammed

V-memory values​
Use the right or left arrow key to move
the cursor to the digit you want to
change. Use the up or down arrow key to
change the digit. The V-memory address
is expressed as an octal number so you
will not see 8’s or 9’s.
This screen allows you to view two
adjacent V-memory locations in BCD
format. The lower word is to the right.
Pressing ENT makes it possible to change
the value in the​
lower word. At this level
of the menu hierarchy, you can also use
the up and down arrow keys to scroll to
other memory locations.

M 3 : D A T A T Y P E​
V

A D D R E S S 0 0 0 0 0
M 3 :​
> D A T A M O N I T O R
> B I T M O N I T O R
> M 2 : S Y S T E M C F G .

>​
M 3 : M O N I T O R

ESC MENU ENT
ESC MENU ENT
ESC MENU ENT​
Data Monitor​
Data type = V for V-memory or P for pointer.
Press MENU to change data type, or press
ENT to designate the register whose data you
want to view or change.​
Step 3.1​
The M3:MONITOR sub-menu contains
the data monitor and the bit monitor.
The data monitor allows you to examine
the contents of memory registers or
pointers to determine their contents. The
default format is BCD/HEX, but the
format can be changed to decimal by
setting bit 8 of V7742. Please refer to the
DL06 Memory Map for ranges.​
Step 3.2
Step 3.3
Step 3.4
Step 3.5​
Monitoring and Changing Data Values​
Menu 3, M3:MONITOR​
From the default screen, press MENU
three times to arrive at the
M3:MONITOR menu option.
The data values on this screen will be four digits
in length for BCD/HEX unless bit 8 of V7742
is set. Bit 8 of V7742 changes the data format to​
decimal (five digits).

Last edited:
hi every one , i am doing my FYP and I use plc to control

i have many problems

let me explain the project

water tank with ultrasonic, as the water decrease in the tank the water flow out should decreases too (I'll use flow control valve to do that)

I want to show the info. on LCD screen (water flow rate, the water level on the tank, is the water increase or decrease?)

the problems are
NOT enough budget
if its just for the plc the dl06 is a good choice for just over your budget
however i don't know of a ultrasonic for less than $300 and you still need a control valve power supply ........

Last edited:
Because it is a student project, most likely there is some equipment in the school lab (tanks, valves, sensors) that can be borrowed by students. For a previous project in Malayasia that Moggie and I helped with here (Rain Harvester-Crop Watering), that was the case. I think that for the Rain Harvester, the school actually supplied the Siemens S7-212 PLC. The rainwater tank simply used level switches for "Low" and "High" levels (black cylinders in the clear tank) - no analog sensors used.
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=69339&highlight=rain+harvester

2012-05-01 15.34.43.jpg

Last edited:
Because it is a student project, most likely there is some equipment in the school lab (tanks, valves, sensors) that can be borrowed by students. For a previous project in Malayasia that I helped with here (Rain Harvester-Crop Watering), that was the case.
perhaps he could split the cost with students doing similar projects?

You could buy a PLC that has a built-in or attachable LCD screen (Omron ZEN, Automation Direct DL-06, many others). Then to display variables on the PLC LCD screen, follow the directions in the PLC manual. Here is the first page of Chapter 10 from the Automation Direct DL-06 User Manual:

Introduction to the DL06 LCD Display Panel

thank u , i tink that is the best idea (y)