On the search for terminal blocks for potential distribution.

JesperMP

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hi all.

I am on the lookout for some terminals for distributing voltage potentials. You know, banks of terminals with 24V or 0V grouped together.
Terminals should be for max 1.5mm2, cage-clamp, and generally as compact as possible. Either for direct fitting with screws on mounting plate or on a mini-top-hat DIN-rail (15mm).
I would like a block of 10 or 16 connections in one unit.
I could build a unit from regular terminals that can link neighbouring terminals via a push-in bridge. But that will be somewhat too big.
The closest I can find is Phoenix Contact MZDB 1.5. But these only have 4 connections grouped together. And if I loop the potential to the next group of 4, I waste 2 connections per terminal, so it is not efficient enough.

Any ideas ??

Sorry for the long link, but I can't find out how to shorten it:

Phoenix Contact Spring Cage Feed Through Terminals. This may have what you are looking for. They appear to have two levels of jumper inserts, so you can link them all using jumpers and not have to use up two terminal points every time you reach the end of a jumper bar.

http://phoenixcontact.com/online/po...n83JX1-_AJKe63M!/dl4/d5/L2dBISEvZ0FBIS9nQSEh/http://phoenixcontact.com/online/po...n83JX1-_AJKe63M!/dl4/d5/L2dBISEvZ0FBIS9nQSEh/

Tharon, what you suggest is how I would normally do it. But I am trying to squeze them into a really tight location. As you can see from regular terminals, a lot of space goes "wasted".

nonuke, these potential distributor seems to be if you have a very large number of wires to hook up. I need only 10-16 connections.

I am trying to find something like 30mm x 60mm for 10 connections.

You can build your unit for each project with the material from Phoenix:

2- Supports for double busbar AB2/SS
2- Busbar cut to lenght
?- Connection terminal blocks AK4, AKG4BU or EK116

been searching for the magical compact potential distributor block. No luck.

I think now that the best compromise could be to build it from regular 3-way terminals with push-in jumper like Phoenix Contact ST 1.5 Twin.
5 terminals plus endcaps and retainers gives me 15 connections in approx 35 mm x 60 mm.

edit: No, the 4.2 mm pitch means the screw-driver for inserting the wires must be abnormally small. It is not a satisfying solution.

Last edited:
nonuke, these potential distributor seems to be if you have a very large number of wires to hook up. I need only 10-16 connections.
So, just use 1 of them... :ROFLMAO:

I'm still trying to picture what you're looking for. Is this for a panel, or junction box? For a junction box, these lever nuts from Wago might do the trick. I've used them in fractional HP motor junction boxes (peckerheads). Much nicer than a clunky ol' wire nut... :rolleyes:

http://64.78.1.67/downloads/51011212.pdf

🍻

-Eric

It is a panel that is junction box. No, it is a machine that is a control panel. No no, it is a distrubition panel + PLC i/o + cable entry + patch area + sensors + valves. I hope that makes it absolutely clear.
It is for retrofitting a small machine where space is really premium.
Some day I will post before and after pictures.

Thanks Eric for the out of the ordinary suggestion. Hmmm. the largest number of connections is 5. I guess I could link several in series.

I am definitely wanting something that looks the part in addition to being functional. The part you suggest end up being a bit messy with several linked together plus a special carrier.

I have been working a bit on using this terminal with push-in jumper.
I should get 10 connections within 40x40 mm, or 16 connections within 56x40 mm.