Another question about proxi's

kapooski2012

I'm looking at the diagram on the proxy its got three wires the blue is negative,the brown is positive and there is a load that is joined between the brown and the black leading into the switch, does the load have to be a resistor, or something else...:unsure: what would be the load?

I'm looking at the diagram on the proxy its got three wires the blue is negative,the brown is positive and there is a load that is joined between the brown and the black leading into the switch, does the load have to be a resistor, or something else...:unsure: what would be the load?

Sounds like an NPN or Low Switching Prox by your description.

The load could be a Relay (Negative of Coil), a PLC Input (Sourcing) etc.

Modern Proxes are normally protected from High Current, Reverse Polarity, and various other nasty things. I have even used 2 wire Proxes that it didn't matter which way you connected them, they would still work.

Stu....

Thanks Stu... That will make it easier to wire some more bells and whistles for my trainer. Iknow the concept, how they work, what they do, but never put anything in practice. The oyhrt thing I have relays that run on 12 and 24 volt but no polarity is indicated is it safe to assume the A positive B negative?

Last edited:
Thanks Stu... That will make it easier to wire some more bells and whistles for my trainer. Iknow the concept, how they work, what they do, but never put anything in practice.

No Problem. It is always good to quote the Manufacturer and Model so people know exactly what you are talking about. Just about everything is available online these days.

As long as you don't dead short it, and you have some kind of load that it operates, which could just about anything that presents a reasonable load. i.e not too little, or too much Current required, you should be golden.

Stu....

Almost always, a 3 wire prox is dc, so you take the brown wire to the dc supply, most likely 24vdc. the black wire will go to the input of the module, which is the load, the other wire will be hooked to minus, negative.

The oyhrt thing I have relays that run on 12 and 24 volt but no polarity is indicated is it safe to assume the A positive B negative?

I don't recall this part, so you may have added it after I answered.

I wouldn't recommend using the 12 Volt Relay, but 24 Volt should be ok. The information for whether the Relays are 24VDC or 24VAC should be on them, and the +/- connections if they exist would also be there in the wiring diagram.

Failing that, you will have to Google the Part # to get the information you need.

Stu....

If the relay is AC the terminals should be A1 for hot and A2 for neutral/common. If the relay is DC, a quinch or circulating diode is often added across the coil terminals.