Compactlogix L32E Devicenet

mike.m

Hi all,

Quick question, have a product that works as a devicenet slave.

I intend on using a compactlogix L32E to test the comms.
How would I go about configuring the L32E as a devicenet master? Is this even possible?

I have never used devicenet before and dont want to buy any components to assist with this as it is for a quick test.

Thanks
Mike

You will need to add a 1769-SDN DeviceNet Scanner Module to your system and deploy DeviceNet media between the scanner and the slave device.
The 1769-SDN will act as the master device.

Right ok, I had a feeling I was going to need additional hardware.

Dont suppose you know of any master simulation software?

DeviceNet is pretty easy to "simulate" within RSL5K since is is a "low level" type of data transfer...Bit to Bit and nothing else...
Maybe someone else here has something better though.

What is the goal of the "quick test" ?

I've worked with some DeviceNet producs where the vendor eventually admitted they had never tested it with anything but a PC-based messaging tool before releasing it to PLC users, who of course proceeded to actually connect it to a PLC, where it was promptly overwhelmed with fast polled I/O packets.

In general, A-B devices are built to be PLC-based I/O Scanners or to be PC-based software interfaces.

For the CompactLogix, you'll need the 1769-SDN Scanner module, and RSNetworx for DeviceNet software. Since you have just one device, get a "demo copy" from your RA office and it will configure Nodes 0-5 without a license.

If you really want to do a "quick test" and not use the logic controller, you'll need an interface from one of the other DeviceNet vendors.

Hilscher, IXXAT, Woodhead... there's a lot of stuff on the market.

I can't recommend a specific device, as everything I do with DeviceNet generally has an A-B scanner.

The Hilscher "NT 50 DN EN" single-slave Ethernet / DeviceNet gateway device looks interesting, but I don't know exactly what their configuration tools do.

Since you've never used DeviceNet before, you might spend a lot more time , money, and energy attempting to circumvent the need for a PLC interface than you would spend just getting one. Most A-B offices will help you out doing a "simple test".