Automation Direct

arkyny

Just wondering, how many users and guests here use Automation Direct PLC's and HMI products. I work for a company that rebuilds bearings for the railroad vehicles, whether they are subway cars up to the big locomotive engines. The bearings have to have a lateral tolerance of +- .001 inch. The math is very complicated and as the lateral machine checks this, it is measured by a probe with very high analog resolution. The AD 450 with extended ram handles these calculations at a very fine and quick process, within 10 seconds solution as to which spacer to install. I wonder why companies would use Allen Bradley when the AD products are about a third of the price, and are as quick and powerful, with extended memory. My plant is full of AD products, and they are very straight forward to program ,so, am I missing something? Also, expandable with RS 232, 485 and ethernet.

Hello,

My two cents.

AB has been around for a very long time, the products generally work without problems, they offer a range of other products (non PLC), etc.

All that equals a “known”.

For people to shift from AB to AD or for that matter brand X they are moving to an “unknown”.

That can be a very tough road for some people.

These PLC's have been in service for 10+ years, only one failure from one processor, and I think it was caused by a power spike from the locals. Im talking PLC, HMI here, not any other other AB products.

Hello,

These PLC's have been in service for 10+ years, only one failure from one processor, and I think it was caused by a power spike from the locals. Im talking PLC, HMI here, not any other other AB products.

I was referring to PLC/HMI/Relay/switches/etc.

IMHO the reasons I gave apply to all AB products and really all products from companies that enjoy a large market share when lower cost products are available, assuming the replacement is functionally the same.

There are many other reasons, training, spare parts, discounts, vendor support, existing programming tools; I could go on and on.

But, it all comes down to "know/unknown".

The same for AB products could be said about Siemens in Europe.

Simple answer for me - software - no I do not use AB - Omron user.
I forgot - 2 year warranty on all Omron products in Ozz and software price is reasonable with free updates and no annual fee!!!

But the AB has a key switch!
Automation Direct has a key switch also!... :p

keyswitch.jpg

🍻

-Eric

P.S. That was a funny video... :ROFLMAO:

We used to put Automation Direct PLCs I at a lot of oilfield sites. They were reliable, and cheap, which the customer liked. They didn't like to fork out the money for Allen Bradley because you never know when a well may stop producing. Also used the Cmore HMIs and had good luck.

Our OEM equipment is all AB with one piece left with a Siemens S5. When I do an in house project I use AD due to ease of use and cost.

I just started a project using the Do-more processor that will replace the above mentioned S5 and a SLC500. The Do-more Designer software has been great and they throw in 30 days of video training to familiarize you with the software.

Simple answer for me - software - no I do not use AB - Omron user.
I forgot - 2 year warranty on all Omron products in Ozz and software price is reasonable with free updates and no annual fee!!!
I agree completely.
The problem that I have with A-D is that they are single source and their tech support is VERY limited. If you have a problem you are basically on your own to solve it.
Omron has a worldwide distribution network for parts and good tech support.

I've been using AD products since 1994 when they were PLCDirect and Tim Hohmann sometimes answered the sales phone himself. (Things were a little slow, then, and my wife and the PLCDirect salesman in Georgia, Butch, would often discuss bass fishing.) PLCDirect was originally an offshoot of Koyo, who made and brand labeled products for GE and then Texas Instruments. When TI was acquired by Siemens, one of their biggest competitors, Koyo and PLCDirect saw an opportunity to market by mail order, and they did it right and have kept growing.

AutomationDirect sells less expensively because they pioneered a new marketing channel - customer direct. They can sell equal quality products for less because they don't have distibutors, local representatives, supply chain transporation costs, etc.

I have, on very rare occassions, had a problem with one of their products. I have never had a problem with the way they fixed things, their level of service, or their response time. Their tech support has always been top notch, and better than a great many of their competitors. The down side to their business model is that if you are a rookie on your first project and need a lot of face time and hand holding you can't get that from AutomationDirect. Handholding, yes, face time, no.

I have been an Allen Bradley customer since the 1970's when the company was still owned by the Bradley family. I can see the clock tower when I drive downtown. A-B has earned a reputation for top quality products too. As the old saying goes "Nobody ever got fired for specifying Allen Bradley." The service has degraded a little since Rockwell took them over, but it is still better than their main competitors. I think they have gotten large enough that most of their factory programmers (many offshore I suspect) haven't been in the field and don't really undersand the end user's problems, but overall they are still excellent in quality and service.

You won't get factory direct service from A-B like you will from AutomationDirect, but you generally don't need to. Most of the local representatives earn their share of the pie by having top notch local support, great product knowledge, and excellent service in their territory. Our Milwaukee based distributor is as good as it gets, and I've called them from across the country helping solve problems for local integrators, and they helped, even knowing there wasn't a nickel in it for them. They are just professionals.

Picking between the two is a little like deciding between choclate cheese cake and rasberry cheese cake. There isn't a wrong answer. If you are risk averse, have an installed base, need in person support, and are reasonably well funded then A-B is your choice. If you are experienced, on a tight budget, and just need to get the job done and the system performing reliably, then AutomationDirect is your choice.

Last edited:
IN GENERAL
I like others have done both. Each has it's strong points. AD does handle some math better then AB in LL. if you need function blocks, structured text, or flow chart tn AD is out.
I do a lot of Safety programming and use dustributed I/O AB has that one.
AD works fir smaller systems where AB has priced their product s little to high.
Some plants have hardware specs that go back years and years before AD was in business. A lot of old timers have the octagon badge tattooed on their shoulder.

MY CURRENT PERSONAL/BUSINESS EXPERIENCE
I get great pricing from AB now. Their sales channel around me brings me business so I tend to use more of their product. I don't price shop very much anymore AB has gotten very agressive. -Across the board my prices gsve gotten better.

I have seen both brands have failures. Most failures that I have seen where analog cards both in and out. Most digital failures can be traced directly back to current being to high ir low.

For small machines and oem's doing small machines, it's a decent product
But I've never seen ad products controlling an entire steel mill or paper machine

They fill a niche for small machines and small oem

For small machines and oem's doing small machines, it's a decent product
But I've never seen ad products controlling an entire steel mill or paper machine
I have and they work very well !!