Voltage regulation

Dondez

Hello everyone,
I'm happy that I could find this forum...Im new in PLC's and I'm intresed in voltage regulation usin' PLC ...may be You could recomend me some stuff (sites, books etc.) about it, because I can't find enything related to this...

Thanx at all
email to: [email protected]

Can you please wide about what you mean Voltage Regulation
PLC can work from mV up to 230V.
The most common is 24V DC for inputs and 24-230v for outputs.
Depend on your type of cards.

I can explane my problem in such way:

Suppose in the power line we have ~220V AC voltage, but as I understand, depending on the line loading, these parameters can change a little and it is not good for electronic devices.
So is it posible to make ladder diagram or in other way to program PLC that it could do such voltage regulation work:
* monitor the voltage in the line;
* than if in power line is voltage drop (or increasement), using transformer, PLC with some accuricy must change voltage and make increasement (or drop) of it.
* and again monitor increased (or decreased) voltage and if the chenged parameters do not satisfy default parameter PLC does the same work untill it reaches ~220V

I hope that there will be some solutions out this problems

Thanx

I think PLC is too slow for that. any how if you want to "play" with your tranformer to stabilize your voltage.
That not the right way.
If you concern about electronic devices you can use stabilized power suplly in away that the power drops would not effect on your device.
I know that in your country the power service is not stable.
You can also use UPS too.

Dondez,

you certainly can do something like that, provided you will throw in a voltage transducer to convert 220 VAC to safe 0...10VDC analog signal and some voltage regulating device to read 0...10V analog PLC output and to vary the voltage accordingly.

The whole thing will cost you a nice sum of money. In addition, would your sensitive electronic equipment be OK with voltage spikes 20 milliseconds or longer? Don't forget that PLCs are not awfully fast, 20 ms is an average scan time, the fastest ones can do as little as 2 ms.

A good old stabilizing transformer will work much better and cost much less. There are plenty stabilizing chips and schematics available. The best thing about them - they work continuously. Unlike PLCs, which do scan after scan after scan... like any computer program.

LadderLogic

Sorry

Before about a year I traveled to Minsk The capital of Belarus
to found why one of my machine is not work.
The service was 175V instead 240V during the day. so all my control did not work I had to install Stabilized power supply instead regular trasformer.
and to change all from 24v AC to 24VDC.
It was BIG "FUN" to fly to third world country for that.