RSLogix 1756-L72S communicating serial to thin client

dmbartender

Hello guys. I have until now always communicated with other machines via either relays or ethernet. Now I must provide a thin client with one INT over a serial interface from my control logix rack.

The L7x no longer carries a serial interface. Is there a serial card I can put in the rack for this simple purpose? I think I have found one from Prosoft and one from Molex, but if anyone has any experience in this kind of application, I would like to hear your opinion.

Thanks!

What protocols does the thin client support ?

Are you looking for lowest cost, best performance, or best ease-of-use ?

My first instinct would be to use an EtherNet/IP to Modbus RTU serial converter. The Digit One IAP and HMS Fieldbus Communicator, as well as Prosoft's standalone and rack mounted modules are the ones I am most familiar with.

I am not sure about the thin client -- I don't have any information about it. There is a template project however where this was done already, with an AWT command in RSLogix. This and other commands are however only valid for processors with serial ports on them, apparently.

I am thinking of putting a second PLC, L61 in the rack just for this communication. Overkill, and expensive, I know.

Unfortunately RA never built a module that directly replaced the Channel 0 serial port with a port that supported MSG instructions and ASCII instructions.

Since the module is probably using ASCII, the most straightforward thing would be to re-create that functionality using a Prosoft MVI56-GSC (Generic Serial) module.

If you happen to have POINT I/O nearby, the 1734-232ASC module is also an inexpensive and simple way to transmit and receive delimited ASCII strings from a ControlLogix.