Counter...but not a counter

icecursor

Hey everyone,

I was just wondering if there was a way to make a counter idea without a counter function. For example, if I were to make an input true 5 times, is there somewhere that could be found? and counted using binary?

Thanks,
Phil

Well most PLC's have an ADD function. You could just add 1 to a specific memory register every time the input signal is triggered. You may have to include some type of one-shot logic to prevent the ADD from continually cycling if the input is held on.

What is an "oe".

You are going to have to have some kind of instruction that accumulates a value.

The project I'm trying to do is this...

With a momentary switch turn on a light and have it stay on. Then when you press the switch again, the light turns off. I'm only allowed using the basic instructions ( NO and NC contacts, and the basic Output) in the logic.

The project I'm trying to do is this...

With a momentary switch turn on a light and have it stay on. Then when you press the switch again, the light turns off. I'm only allowed using the basic instructions ( NO and NC contacts, and the basic Output) in the logic.

Search the forum for "Flip-Flop". Or push to start push to stop.

But what does this have to do with a counter? You can use a counter to accomplish this, but that is not your assignment.

Since I can't use the flip flop... as I said before only the 3 basic functions.

I was wondering if I could use something along the lines of a counter idea. Like when the push button is pressed, it records that press and it records that press in a bit. if that bit records in binary, than I can select the first bit to turn on and off the light

See below, as stated earlier this has been covered in a lot of earlier post, just search "flip flop". There are plenty of different ways to accomplish it but this one works.

FlipFlopLadder.jpg

Since I can't use the flip flop... as I said before only the 3 basic functions.

Its not a flip-flop circuit if that is what you are thinking. Its flip-flop logic. Do the search.

Take a close look at this animation that is being used as an avatar by one of our forum members.

image.php

What you're looking for is a "D Flip Flop Counter". It's a basic circuit taught in introductory logic circuit design.

To create a binary counter, you chain together several flip-flop circuits so that each is driven by the output of the previous one.

The state of the output of the first flip-flop represents the first bit of the binary word. The state of the output of the second flip-flop represents the second bit of the binary word. And so on.

So start by mastering the basic flip-flop logic in whatever PLC make and model you are using. Then try using the output of one as the input to another.