E won and VM connection

DamianInRochester

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am trying to setup an E won for remote access to a panel. Has anyone had success with connecting this with a VM?

I want my VM (using VMware) with my Siemens software to connect to the subnet on the panel, but haven't been able to get it to work thus far. I am not even certain it is working through the host yet. The eCatcher software says I am connected and I do see a "software adatper" installed in network connections which I assume is how the connection is made.

I am using Win7 64bit as a host. WinXP Pro SP3(32bit) in the VM.

I use Virtualbox so it isn't directly comparable. But, I have no problem contacting the equipment on the far side of the 'e won' from software running in the VM. The first thing to try is to click the IP address assigned to the new connection shown on the eCatcher window. This should bring up the 'e won' log in web page. Then you know you have a connection to the 'e won'. Next you need to look at the settings for the 'e won'. System Setup / Network Config / Routing, 'e won' seem to use a Plug and Play setting but I haven't had much success with that, if I use 'NAT and TF on WAN' it seems to work a lot better, but you limited to contacting devices on the same subnet as the 'e won' LAN. So speaking of subnets, make sure that the 'e won' LAN IP subnet and the device IP subnet are the same. Then go to eCatcher and make sure that the IP subnet given in the Properties for the 'e won' again matches.

This is a good page to get info:
http://wiki.e*w*o*n.biz/Support

Last edited:
I am interested in your findings here. We will be getting a **** soon. I asked the rep about use with VMWARE.I was told is was no problem as long as the proper VM network settings were used.

Don't treat VM's as black magic guy's. As far as TCP/IP connectivity a NIC is a NIC no matter if it's physical or virtual.

It can be VM Ware, Citrix, Virtual Box, Hyper V, Physical and there is no difference in connectivity to an E.W.O.N.

I am having difficulty getting the E_Won network adapter (******) to bridge to the VM. I can't quite seem to figure out how to get the VM to use that adapter in the host.

Although I am also connected to the E_won, I don't seem to be able to ping any of the devices on that subnet either.

Details ?
IP, Subnet, Gateway of all devices in question.
edit:For the E W O N, I want to know both sides. PLC side and WAN side.

I dont use VMs for this purpose, but I guess you would have to install ecatcher in the VM. Your last post seems to indicate you have installed ecatcher on the host and want to "bridge" that to the VM. I dont know if it can work but I dont think it is the obvious or easiest way. Just install ecatcher in the VM.

Last edited:
Details ?
IP, Subnet, Gateway of all devices in question.
edit:For the E W O N, I want to know both sides. PLC side and WAN side.

I dont use VMs for this purpose, but I guess you would have to install ecatcher in the VM. Your last post seems to indicate you have installed ecatcher on the host and want to "bridge" that to the VM. I dont know if it can work but I dont think it is the obvious or easiest way. Just install ecatcher in the VM.

Jesper, I'll put together the nitty gritty details here soon. The crux seems to be though my inability to bridge the Talk_2_M software adapter that installs to one of the VM adapters. I am probably taking the wrong approach. I'll have to do some reading here soon to get it figured out.

You may want to look at the VMware network editor. You can hard code connections between network cards there