Ethernet issue with panelview

Khugh010

Working on connecting an Allen Bradley SLC 5/05 via Ethenet to 2 EA9 C-more panel views and keep getting an PLC-026 Error on the panel views.

RSLinx is set up as AB_ETHIP-1 and I can see the 5/05 at it's IP address. I cannot see the 2 panel view on the RSWho.

The panel view is set up for PLC protocol Allen Bradley Ethernet/IP Client(SLC5/05/ENI Adapter) , Direct Connection with it's unique IP address

Can't figure out more to do to get it to communicate...any help appreciated

Welcome to the Forum !

A bit of a quibble: "PanelView" is an Allen-Bradley trademark and only Allen-Bradley devices bear the name. I know what you're talking about when you call a C-More touchscreen HMI a "PanelView", but it's better to call it a "terminal" or "HMI".

Because the terminals aren't A-B devices, they aren't required to show up in the RSWho browse. They probably don't support the "List Identity" command that A-B uses for network browsing.

The error code "PLC-026" suggests that the C-More is sending a command to the SLC-5/05 and getting no response.

Are you certain that the C-Mores are correctly configured for an IP address of their own that is compatible with the subnet of that the SLC-5/05 is using ?

Can you PING the C-More terminals from your computer ?

Thank you for responding and the correction of terminology. I can ping them from my PC and they show up on the Ethernet but at different IP addresses than I assigned during my program download. The SLC is assigned 172.17.17.91 so I assigned the 2 HMI's 92 and 93.

No I am not sure these numbers are compatible. This SLC 5/05 was removed from another system which was talking to another CompactLogix and two other EA7 c-more HMI's and so I was attempting to duplicate what was there, however the 5/05 wasn't using an HMI, only the CompactLogix in that application.

Can you get online with the SLC-5/05 to check the Ethernet channel configuration ?

Your statement about the C-More terminals showing up "at a different IP address" is concerning.

In general with small networks you use "Class C" private subnets. The first three octets are the same, and the last one is different: 172.17.17.xxx.

The usual Subnet Mask for such a network is 255.255.255.0.

I made a mis-statement; I was confused by the 172.17.17.x address.

Most networks that are in the 172.16.x.y through 172.31.x.y range are actually Class B networks, with a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0 or 255.240.0.0.

This is usually done for large internal networks.

You want the SLC-5/05 and the C-Mores to have unique IP addresses with compatible subnet masks. If you can make all the subnet masks the same, do it.

The fact that this might be a very large internal network makes it even more important to use a tool more sophisticated than PING to identify devices, and even more suspicious that the C-Mores you installed appeared to 'show up' at different addresses than the ones you think you assigned to them.

Do the C-More terminals have a built in diagnostic web page or similar method to connect to them with diagnostic software ?