Ethernet connection issue with CpLX

ceilingwalker

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello all. I have a 1769-L16ET-BB1B, LogixDesigner v.34.011, that was brand new, factory sealed. I connected via USB port and downloaded my program which has the IP set in it. I am using VMware Workstation with windows 10. I just came from a customer that has a CpLX and used the IP settings and connected fine with that controller (same subnet number). For some reason, the PLC doesn't reply to PING's so, of course, RSLinx can't see it. When I look at device properties in Linx via USB, it shows the IP address I assigned it. I can't figure out why the thing won't connect via ethernet-ip. Any suggestions? Thank you

My opinion I would use the Bootp utility to set the IP. It sounds like what you did is correct but in my experience I don't trust anything except Bootp. I know some people hate the Bootp software but I have had good luck with it. I have probably used it over 100 times in my career

1. Are your PC on the same sub net?
2. Are your PC managed by the company IT dept. Some IT guys, [like mine] don't allow to connect to static IP devices when wifi is ON, turn it off and try.
3. With your VM in place, was you able to connect to other devices previously, then VM settings can be ignored. If not, might be good to look into it.
4. Have you tried using a different ethernet cable?

Downloading program to the controller via USB does not set controller IP address.
Check IP address in RSLinx or FT Linx using USB, and use Linx to set it.

My opinion I would use the Bootp utility to set the IP. It sounds like what you did is correct but in my experience I don't trust anything except Bootp. I know some people hate the Bootp software but I have had good luck with it. I have probably used it over 100 times in my career

I spent the first unsuccessful hour trying this, then gave up.

1. Are your PC on the same sub net?
2. Are your PC managed by the company IT dept. Some IT guys, [like mine] don't allow to connect to static IP devices when wifi is ON, turn it off and try.
3. With your VM in place, was you able to connect to other devices previously, then VM settings can be ignored. If not, might be good to look into it.
4. Have you tried using a different ethernet cable?

Yes, No, Yes, Yes

Go back to basics, and remove the VM from the equation.
Have you checked connection from your host? If still can't ping, have you plugged directly into controller without the network setup?

Go back to basics, and remove the VM from the equation.
Have you checked connection from your host? If still can't ping, have you plugged directly into controller without the network setup?

Although I don't have access to the RS outside of VMware, I connected the PLC and PING'd it from my laptop and it replies.....with wifi off, ensuring that what is replying can only be the PLC. That tells me it is something in the VM. I went through all my settings but I honestly know very little about VMWare.

That's a good start. Now you need to find how your VM networking is set. Is it bridged to a specific adaptor? or NAT'd. You will find this in the VM settings. Are you using VMware Virtualbox or some other type 1 hypervisor? ESXi / XEn

Confirm PLC and PC IP, subnet, gateway match and are on same subnet. Verify Ethernet port enabled on PLC. Check port LEDs show valid link and activity, if not try new cable or switch port. Confirm PC NIC set correctly and no firewall blocks PLC pings. Disable unused PC adapters. Reset and power cycle PLC to get new IP. Use Wireshark to see if ARP requests go out but no response. Last resort, default PLC to reset to DHCP then reconfigure static IP.