CODESYS EtherNet/IP Scnner: "The bus is not running..." issue

AlfredoQuintero

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello. I need to connect an EtherNet/IP adapter to CODESYS RTE.

I have confirmed that the adapter works with Rockwell Logix, and not only the communication but the process data works as expected. The device echoes back the output from the PLC.
I have tested with both CODESYS Winx64 and CodesysRTE (both licensed with USB dongle).
The problem I get is that PLC application for the selected adapter shows status "The bus is not running. The shown values are perhaps not actual." Wireshark traces shows normal implicit communication and the output from the PLC is seen on the network.
The adapter has 4 bytes assemblies and 254 bytes assemblies. The problem seems to be with the 254 input (or produced) assemblies. It is not possible to get the data from the input assemblies to the PLC application.
Is there are known limitation for IO connection for the CODESYS EtherNet/IP scanner?

2023-08-11_EtherNet_IPScannerProbelm.png

I was able to figure out the problem. I had incorrect EDS file. I tried connecting two CODESYS, one as the scanner and one as the adapter, then verified the EDS file syntax for the CODESYS adapter, then modified mine.

Hi Alfredo,
this may sound as a dumb question, but can you explain what is the difference between CODESYS Winx64 and CodesysRTE. I know that RTE means Run Time Environment, but don't know how they're different. Does RTE includes GUI tools for programming?

No problem mikas_m, I do not think this is a dumb question. Both CODESYS Control Win and CODESYS RTE run in Windows hardware, but they are very different and the license type is different. Also, the driver for the Ethernet is provided by CODESYS.
CODESYS says:
CODESYS Control RTE SL is a real-time software PLC for PC-based industrial controllers under Windows - programmable with the IEC 61131-3 development System CODESYS.

https://store.codesys.com/en/codesys-control-rte-sl-bundle.html

In the system I am testing now I have 8 EtherNet/IP adapters with total IO each of more than one Kbyte (produced and consumed) and an RPI (requested packet interval) of 10 msec.
I am still testing and have not done in-depth analysis but preliminary I can see with Wireshark that all connections get updated at almost 10 msec, I am very impressed with the performance. There is no way that the normal CODESYS Control Win would yield this performance I am seeing.

CODESYS_RTE1.png

Contrary to intuition, RTE stands for "Real Time [something]". The PLC code and Ethernet comms in the RTE run as Kernel components, so hard real-time can be achieved compared to Control Win, which makes use of the ethernet drivers and process priority of windows.

Alfredo, thank you very much for your elaborate answer.
I hope you will add more info to this thread after you finish testing. I'm very much interested in the results of your comparison and for sure, it could useful to others.