Yaskawa SI-en3 with P1000

rocksalt

Hello,

I am trying to control a VFD (Yaskawa) with a compact logix controller.
I am getting an error on the generic ethernet module (code 16#0109 connection request error: invalid connection size
Yaskawa_Roll_Drive:I
(yellow exclamation point and IO blinking)

I set up the generic module with:
assembly input 71 size 1
output 21 size 2
configuration 1 size 0.

What did I mess up?

Hello

Try setting Assembly Input to 71 Size 2.
Assembly 71 contains is for monitors and is 4 bytes or 32 bits of data.

Here's a couple of links I recently used for CNC Machine of a local company.

Cheat Sheet for the EtherNet./IP Option Board, SI-EN3
https://www.yaskawa.com/pycprd/download/search/detail?n=TM.EtherNetIP.01

1000 Series Option EtherNet/IP SI-EN3 Technical Manual
https://www.yaskawa.com/pycprd/download/search/detail?n=SIEPC73060058

The SI-EN3 and SI-EN3/V Ethernet/IP Option Card Understanding
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtP5-OTNbN8

Ethernet/IP Networking With a Yaskawa Drive and Logix Controller
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnxnkqsBkCs

Hope This helps
Tom

Last edited:
Thanks for the help. It was the 72. The PLC must have changed it all on its own, by itself with no fat fingreimng. I swear.

On another note... I would like to get a zero speed signal from the drive. Is this possible without feedback? I need to control a brake system and want to get away from timers and crucial brake adjustments.
I tried using the getactspeed :)I.Data[1]) but it does not work as expected. Even though it reads zero the motor still spins.

Last edited:
I should also add that if your motor does not have an encoder, the zero speed bit is only a feedback of the frequency output to the motor. If you put the drive into base block it will come back with a zero speed even if the motor is coasting to a stop.

If you use input assembly 151 (length is 4 int) it gives you the Zero Speed status bit.

I am new at this so bear with me.

I would need to replace 71/2 with 151/4 to do this and would I still be able to control from si_en3 (I see some status bits are not available from 151 that are in 71)

Last edited:
Correct, change the 71/2 to 151/4. This is the assembly that the drive produces so this won't affect the control.

I believe the status bits that aren't available are the bits that tell you if the run and reference are setup to come from the option card or not, otherwise they should all be there. If you need those status bits, you can setup an explicit message to read that parameter directly from the P1000.

Sorry wish I wold have read your thread earlier. I was running into a similar issue. I set the drive up and everything worked correctly. I was asked to display the current of the drive on a HMI and I realized I was not getting that value back to the AB PLC. Is there an assembly that could send this info over? Thanks

Last edited:
Set the input configuration to 151, 4 and use the yaskawa tag generator to create the tags. Make sure you set the input configuration correctly in the tag generator.
A tag named: 'name'GetAmpsOut will be created that is aliased to: 'name':I.Data[3](C)