FactoryTalk Tag Read/Write

zatko

I was wondering if there was a faster way to read tags in VBA than myTestVariable = myTagGroup.Item("myTestTag").value ? Because I am trying to read up to 30 tags at a time to populate a list. I tried with oTags.ScanOn roWait , but I can't find a library to add to references for this to work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you add all tags to a tag group, set the .UpdateRate property, and set the .Active property to True, the entire tag group will continuously update automatically.

If you must ensure that you have current data, you can call the .RefreshFromSource method, which does a direct right now update of all tags in the group whether or not the group is set active.

The greatest time is spent in actually putting the individual tags on scan, not reading them, so for my FTView VBA, I always handle it in a hidden, always active non-closable window where I initialize it by creating all of my tag groups and putting them on scan.

how many tags do you handle this way? because i have about 3000 tags to handle,depending on what window i have open (around 30 at a time).

i would disagree... choice to use FTView was not mine to make,furthermore without VBA i can't (or don't know how) access database. as i said i don't read more than 30 tags using VBA (i show user form with a list of those no-more-than 30 tags).as it takes time to read them all (put them on scan), it takes time to populate the list and i would like to cut that down to a minimum. but considering the combined number of all tags and that items in the list are not always the same, using hidden window is not an option.but i am open to any other suggestons.

Then as I said before, create a hidden window, create all the tag groups there (100 groups of 30 tags), and leave them there as long as the application is running. Don't create and destroy them dynamically.
Use the hidden window to populate/read from duplicate tags in the Tag Dictionary, then let your other windows communicate through the normal tag dictionary.

Honestly, database access can require a ton of work to speed up. You really need well formed DB Stored procedures to handle the traffic if you want any kind of speed with the FTView VBA.

What PLC are you using? It might be better to get an in-rack database connector device to handle the DB comms.