simatic manager

arulrajeee

Hai .
I have vipa plc.. and i have simatic manager in my laptop... I want to connect and add some i/o modules, edit some program in it. Please guide me how to connect....

Which model of Vipa PLC do you have?

For most vipa PLC's, you must specify in simatic manager a Siemens CPU 315-2DP

the same cpu 315 we have.. I have simatic manager and mpi port cable also..I want to know how to connect without know the id and will play...

In Simatic, hit OPTIONS and PG/PC interface. Choose PC Adapter MPI. Make sure you got the right CPU in the HW setup. Standard MPI addy is 2. If you cannot connect, check with accessible nodes what MPI addresses you can connect.

Slightly off-topic, how does this work in regards to copyright and all?

Slightly off-topic, how does this work in regards to copyright and all?

I'm not a lawyer, etc, etc. I have guesses as to what the laws say here, but no idea at all what they are elsewhere.

I've never read the EULA of Step 7 in depth, to see if it says it is only supposed to be used for Siemens products or not. I imagine that is the only way the user could get in trouble, and I can't imagine Siemens would start going after its users regardless.

At least in the US, reverse engineering for the purposes of interoperability is supposedly legal, as long as you don't have to defeat copy protection measures to use it.

I think the only trademark issues would come if VIPA was trying to confuse its customers into thinking they were actually official Siemens products (like buying foaklies from a street vender). From what little i've seen of VIPA's product, it seems to be marketed as a compatible alternative, not as the same thing. That said, customers are often idiots, and I've heard that Siemens gets tech support calls for them all the time. "What do you mean you don't support this module; it's in your rack?!"

I have no clue if patents could come into play or not, but at this point, a lot of the products have been out long enough that the patents might have expired anyway.

Siemens might have a trade secret claim against them, but only if the company was founded by former employees who left to set up shop on their own. Even then, I have no idea what really goes into that.

I'm sure Siemens tried (or at least looked into) to make VIPA go away when they first appeared, and the fact that they are still here says a lot to me....

Hi, and thank you :).

The thing that makes me wonder is that, like you say, it looks like and bolts on like a Siemens product. You have to choose a certain version of a Siemens CPU to trick Simatic Manager.

Well, who knows, maybe it is not even worth their time to pursue them :).