Ge-9030 unknown hardware issue

Byron

Lifetime Supporting Member
Greetings Gentlemen,
I have yet another hair puller job for an undisclosed hospital. I'm not sure if it is another GE-ZENITH system or not. I was sent the code in a .flb file and opened it up in VersaPro 2.04. The hardware configuration DOES NOT match the PICTURES they sent me.

Take a look at the pictures, then open up the hardware configuration. The pictures show a "PTU MASTER" module next to a CPU360. The hardware configuration shows a PCM301 (dejavu) I can't find any reference (yet) to the PTU MASTER module... weird! I'll keep looking but I hope someone out there has seen this.

IMG_1476.jpg

I attached the VersaPro file. I don't know what version it is written in, I imported the .flb file with v.2.04

Compare the Hardware configuration with the picture...

ANOTHER QUESTION: I see the .VDT file in the VersaPro folder, but the data is not in the program in VP. How does one make it show up? I viewed the .vdt file with QuickView Pro and there is data in the file... comments and nicknames and such

First I would Pull Each Module and Verify by the sticker on the side what module is what. I was able to import your file as a Versapro. I would check that the CPU is in fact a 360 and not the 350. If it is the 360 maybe you don't have the latest and greatest program for this system. This ptu Master is really RTU Master Module made by Horner. HE693RTM705 RTU/Modbus Master Module.(Does the Same as a PCM 301) I have seen many Horner modules installed and configured as regular 9030 equivalent or sometimes 3rd party.

Last edited:
I've seen a few systems where the control engine was a PCM module rather than the CPU module. Most of them were for emissions monitoring systems, but I don't think you have an emission monitoring system here. Those tend to have a lot of analog modules and not so many discretes. The hospital's boiler room will have an emissions monitoring system. If it has a medical waste incinerator, that will also have an emissions monitor.
The OEM of the system probably developed a custom MegaBasic application that reads and writes the I/O data over the backplane and reacts accordingly. There would not have to be any ladder logic in the PLC's "_MAIN" program block.
Do you know what is on the other end of the serial cable from the "PTU Master"? That might provide a clue as to what the initials stand for.
Another possibility: If I remember correctly, the original 90-30 State Logic system from Adatek deployed the State Engine on a PCM module. That was before GE Fanuc bought Adatek and introduced with the State Logic CPU modules.

I Imported this into PME 8.60 with no problems.
A believe that sjohnson is correct and the second module is actually a RTU Master from Horner, the ladder includes an "RTU" and "RTU_RST" Blocks of logic.
The Ethernet module in the second rack may give you a clue also as to what this thing is doing for a living, what/who is monitoring it via Ethernet?

It is an Annunciator system and the logic is not too difficult to follow however there are no comments or descriptions in here, so it is likely something that was uploaded from the CPU.

Thank You All for the input.
I have a call to finish up right now from last night... hope to get back on this project this afternoon.

Meanwhile: The VDT file is IN THE VERSAPRO FOLDER. I an view the comments and nicknames with QUICKVIEW PLUS. How do I get VersaPro to see them?

Thanks

First I would Pull Each Module and Verify by the sticker on the side what module is what. I was able to import your file as a Versapro. I would check that the CPU is in fact a 360 and not the 350. If it is the 360 maybe you don't have the latest and greatest program for this system. This ptu Master is really RTU Master Module made by Horner. HE693RTM705 RTU/Modbus Master Module.(Does the Same as a PCM 301) I have seen many Horner modules installed and configured as regular 9030 equivalent or sometimes 3rd party.

The project is over an hour drive away and the contractor who wants me to look at it sent pictures and code ahead of time so I can determine if we can do it or not. It is an annunciator panel for the ATS- Emergency Generator Automatic Transfer system. I suspect GE-ZENITH with the dead give away being Y866. Their systems circa 1998-1999 were "Yxxx"... as I put up last time with the other thread. So I can't look at the stickers just yet.

YES... you are correct. It is RTU. It looks like a P. I typed in RTU last night to no avail. I added Horner to the search terms too, I think... anyway the part number did the trick, THANKS.

Pic attached

he693rtm705.jpg

Thank You All for the input.
I have a call to finish up right now from last night... hope to get back on this project this afternoon.

Meanwhile: The VDT file is IN THE VERSAPRO FOLDER. I an view the comments and nicknames with QUICKVIEW PLUS. How do I get VersaPro to see them?

Thanks
I don't know about VersaPro but I'm sure it brings in the VDT file as did PME. Problem is that there is nothing of value in it other than the Variable addresses and "generically" assigned nick names.

I opened it with VP and all I see are the variable names for the %S Booleans. Nothing for any of the other addresses and no rung comments. Versa Pro automatically puts all addresses into the variable table as they are used, but it is up to the programmer to assign names and descriptions to the addresses. The .vdt file is consistent with the project having been uploaded from the PLC to the computer running VersaPro.

looks like the program is in tact but You wont know what is what without some sort of I/O sheet of sorts. Might want to carry along in your ammo box the basic RTUM PGM and reload it. Most of the time the PCM Module battery goes caput and the program just needs to be reloaded. Save some time and verify there is no blinking light on the in1 or in2 first. Same battery as the power supply.

http://support.ge-ip.com/support/index?page=kbchannel&id=S:KB6701&actp=search

Thanks guys!!! I found a manual for the RTU MASTER module by Horner. It says this on page13 : LINK: http://www.gescanontario.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/m007607.pdf
CHAPTER 2: INSTALLATION
2.1 RTM705 Mounting Requirements
The RTM705 Module is designed to plug into any series 90-30 local slot. The RTM705 module is not
compatible with the Series 90-30 embedded CPUs (CPU311/313/323), but requires a CPU331 model or
higher. Please refer to the 90-30 Installation manual for information on installing the module.
2.2 LogicMaster/VersaPro Configuration for RTM705
The RTM705 is configured in LogicMaster/VersaPro as an IC693PCM301, Programmable Coprocessor
Module (PCM). Set the cfg mode parameter to “PCM Configuration”. A sample VersaPro configuration
screen is shown in Figure 2.1 below:

Attached is the PDF manual I found, in case the link goes away (future generations)

The GE name of the manual was: m007607.pdf until I renamed it with something that means something to me.