GE 9030 Series LM90 Software

OkiePC

Lifetime Supporting Member
We have a customer that has 6 machines running GE Series 90-30 PLCs. In order to support them, they bought a used Dell Full size desktop PC with Windows XP that allows them to run Logic Master 90 software. They also have a USB programming cable that works.

I helped them out a couple of times even though I have nearly zero GE experience, was able to figure out COM settings and Google Fu my way in to get them online and clear faults and put the PLC back in RUN mode. I also made a printout of two of their programs (pretty simple discrete I/O, ~80 rungs of code) and have a copy of one machines project folder.

They are making plans to upgrade the controllers, but in the meantime would like us to set them up with a laptop that can run a newer version of Windows and still allow them to maintain those machines (like clear fault tables when a card fails, or troubleshoot I/O). The PC they're using now is cumbersome and they realize they need to protect it, so they completely disassemble it after each use and store it in an office. When they need to get it out, they load it on a plastic cart and roll it to the machine, plug in the monitor, mouse, keyboard, USB converter, and power cords. Boot it up and wait. You know this drill.

Can we install LM90 and expect it to run on Windows 10? How about Windows 11?

Can we get them a newer version of 90-30 software like Proficy Machine Edition and expect it to work with their old CPUs?

Is there a significant advantage to moving them to Proficy Machine Edition?

I have a couple of photographs but not serial numbers and the complete project file for one machine and just the printed report (txt file) for another. They are all similar machines that control just the discrete I/O on plastic pipe extrusion lines.

Last edited:
Can we install LM90 and expect it to run on Windows 10? How about Windows 11?
You can run LM90 in DOSBox, but the communications driver is only compatible with a 32-bit operating system. Yesterday, I got asked to provide a printout of a Locicmaster program, and I used a Windows 7 machine to do it. I've never tried it on a Windows 10 or Windows 11 machine. When I need to communicate with a PLC I run it under a 32-bit Windows XP virtual machine.

Can we get them a newer version of 90-30 software like Proficy Machine Edition and expect it to work with their old CPUs?
It depends on how old they are, but unfortunately I don't know the oldest compatible firmware version.

Is there a significant advantage to moving them to Proficy Machine Edition?
The comfort level that comes with knowing they aren't limited to a computer running a 32-bit OS. Also not having to listen to the technicians complain about having to use the ancient software. Of course, the techs will still complain because Machine Edition isn't RSLogix.

Okay, so LM90 needs to run in a 32 bit operating system in order for the comms drivers to work. That's enough incentive right there to migrate to PME in my opinion.

PME can communicate in a 64 bit OS, right?

I'm going to attach a project folder (zipped) if you could take the time to see if it can be opened in PME, I'd greatly appreciate it!

I had no problem importing it into PME version 7, which is what I have installed on this old Windows 7 machine I use for internet browsing. It looks to me like this was uploaded directly from the PLC, so it doesn't have any variable names or rung comments. Neither did the LM90 printout included in the .zip file (L4.txt).
And yes, the communications driver in PME is compatible with 64-bit OS.
The oldest version of PME to compatible with Windows 10 was version 9.5. I don't know if any of the GE versions are Windows 11 compatible or which of the Emerson versions are OK on Windows 11. I think the latest version from Emerson is version 10.x, not sure about the value of x.
If the CPU313 model is the same on the other machines, I expect you won't have any trouble moving from LM90 to PME. If you want, you can send me the LM90 files for the rest of the machines and I'll verify a successful conversion. Send me a PM and I'll disclose my email address.

I appreciate your expert input on this Steve!

We'll propose a new laptop and PME license that supports those older models and figure out any remaining details if they approve it.

Thanks!